help troubleshooting samson db500A powered 15 main - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2012, 06:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help troubleshooting samson db500A powered 15 main

Hi, i bought a pair of samson db-500A powered 15 inch 500 watt speakers used of craigslist a while ago, used em for a fiew shows and love em.
there biamped, the tweeter and 15 each have there own amplifier.

PROBLEM:

I was mixing at home the other day and noticed that one of the 15's in one speaker wasnt playing anything, i was only getting sound out of the tweeter, so i turned the speaker off, then back on again and the 15 kicked back in. the same thing happened again a day later but this time it didnt kick back in as soon as i restarted it, so left it off for a while, turned it back on and the 15 was playing music again.
turned it on this morning, and the 15 played music for one song, i played another song 10 mins later and my 15 isnt playing anything again!!
I have never heard of or seen a problem like this before, could it be a loose connection to the amp for the 15?
i have shows coming up this month so i need my FOH mains badly.

any and all help is much appreciated.

Basscrime.
Old 11th January 2012, 07:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

i was just listening to a track while i had the 15 working, and then it cut out but it didnt cut out, it faded out like someone slowly pulled a fader down on a mixer, this is verry strange...
Old 27th February 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i'm convinced there is a design flaw. I have the same problem with one that a client brought for a repair. I'll be able to tell you later, once i've figured this one out.
Old 28th February 2012, 07:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Found the problem!!! Send me a pm if you haven't solved it yet.
Old 28th February 2012, 10:44 PM   #5
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, come on, why not share the solution with all of us?

When I see that symptom in anything, my first reaction is dirty cutout contacts on a jack. But it certainly coul dbe many different things.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

ENZO. correct Dirty jack contacts. Weird but true.
Old 10th February 2013, 12:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi guys.
Having a couple of issues with a pair of DB500a's.
In one speaker, it sounds like the 15 has gone - in the other, it sounds like the tweeter has gone..
So, after having read this forum, I decided to take them to bits to have a look.
First, I took the front off to look at the cones to check the connections.
They were okay.
Then I took the backs off both, and swapped them to see what would happen. Lo and behold, the problems got swapped too...
Although the 15 inch fired up intermittently with a fiddle with the volume control...so, I now have a couple of circuit board-type things out of the speakers - I have heard both tweeters working, and both 15 inch cones working, so I am happy that those parts at least are not damaged.
However, how do I go about fixing what appears to be the actual issue - the circuit boards are either dirty or something is wrong.
How do I check, how do I repair?

Any and all help much appreciated.

Last edited by jacksnakes; 10th February 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11th February 2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

So you have dete4rmined that the board in one amp will not drive the woofer, and the board from the other amp will not drive the tweeter, is that correct? And by testing, you have foud that both tweeters and both wooferes are in fact functional, yes?

Each board has an individual problem. It COULD be as simple as a dirty connections, but I'd wager it is more likely each board has an electronics circuit problem. Do you have and know how to use a soldering iron and a multimeter? And can you change components on a circuit board?
Old 12th February 2013, 11:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
So you have determined that the board in one amp will not drive the woofer,
Yes - bearing in mind that the knobs and switches are still attached to the board, and that turning the 'line in' volume control up and down will produce intermittent sound from the woofer.
Quote:
and the board from the other amp will not drive the tweeter, is that correct?
Yes.

Quote:
And by testing, you have found that both tweeters and both woofers are in fact functional, yes?
Yes - there are no clicks, fuzzy sounds - nothing out of the ordinary from either woofers or tweeters on both cabs (depending on which board is used!)

Quote:
Each board has an individual problem. It COULD be as simple as a dirty connections, but I'd wager it is more likely each board has an electronics circuit problem.
I think my best case scenario is looking like one dirty contact (woofer, since it comes on if you play with the knob), and one possible electrical contact

Quote:
Do you have and know how to use a soldering iron
Yes
Quote:
and a multimeter?
Not quite so much...
Quote:
And can you change components on a circuit board?
not something I have done before, but will give it a go if I know which components are u/s
Old 12th February 2013, 02:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

cracked solder joints can also be an issue pull out a magnifying glass and and inspect where pins from a connector are joined to the board, also try tapping the assembly while running at low volume and see if it cuts in and out a sure sign of a crappy /broken contacts.
in basscrimes' case i'd be looking for bad cap's, interstage and decoupling, to me the hint there is the volume fade over time.

Last edited by turk 182; 12th February 2013 at 02:19 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!