Cheap Horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello peeps just wanted to find out if someone could give me some rough figures for Hornresp so that i can build my first HF Horn.

I have been slowly building up parts fro my system very cheap and have decided to start cheap and maybe one day il have the funding to build proper systems.
So anyway im Austria and well things aint easy here so i decided to buy a pair of KENFORD COMP-44 Compression drivers.

Now I cant find any TSP anywhere but i kinda guessed i wouldnt (CHEAP).
So what i really need is some parameters that will allow me to design the horn in hornresp.
I need it to go from 800hz and up, the reason is although the 12" mid i am using can go much higher, the TOA cabinets that i got real cheap too are already horn design, and im sure on simming it in hornresp that it will go to 800/1000hz if i make the throat a little smaller.

So anyways not too much just need somewhere to start.

Thanks

Try PM'ing JLH, I'm fairly certain he has done a lot of hornresp work on higher frequency horns. I've only designed mid horns up to 2khz, but I have WT2 so the T/S specs are accurate. If you have an SPL meter and a DMM I'm sure you could find the CD's resonance as a starting point for the lower cutoff of the horn, then perhaps chose a horn flare type then take your throat diameter and and the size of mouth you're aiming for and input these... see what comes up, and knock out a quick prototype. To see if the measured response is close to the modelled one.

Last edited:
You may be able to get used horns for next to nothing, or for the scrap value of the aluminium. The drivers and diaphragms in particular are the valuable bits. Try calling up local sound rental companies, speaker reconers, mobile discos.

Selenium horns are pretty cheap to buy new. The round horn(s) may sound good, if the theory about axisymmetric horns sounding less horn-like is true.

You may be able to get used horns for next to nothing, or for the scrap value of the aluminium. The drivers and diaphragms in particular are the valuable bits. Try calling up local sound rental companies, speaker reconers, mobile discos.

Selenium horns are pretty cheap to buy new. The round horn(s) may sound good, if the theory about axisymmetric horns sounding less horn-like is true.

I have had great results with the "Round" also known as "Conical" horns.
The Yamaha Waveforce uses a large diameter conical horn that measures and performs great crossed over to a Eminence 15" woofer.
For a standard CD horn see if you can find a used DDS horn.

Horns are not the best place to cut cost. Keep a close eye on ebay on other places you can find used gear.

I have had great results with the "Round" also known as "Conical" horns.
The Yamaha Waveforce uses a large diameter conical horn that measures and performs great crossed over to a Eminence 15" woofer.
For a standard CD horn see if you can find a used DDS horn.

Horns are not the best place to cut cost. Keep a close eye on ebay on other places you can find used gear.

I forgot to add something.

Beside DDS keep an eye on any old Community horns.
For as old as it is much of it is still useful. Much better then buying brand new P-Audio brand no matter how cheap it might be.

TEST MODEL

Well ive designed a test horn and run some basic frquency sweeps and well it all seems to crop off after 10k. Now i have to calibrate my euipment then try again.

But upon designing the horn its responce did say it would drop off after this.
So i need to know some basic 1" CD parameters for a 80w driver (the one i have are Kenford com-44) anything close which will give me something to redesign a horn around.

And anything that will help raise the HF responce.

Otherwise i am considering putting my bullet tweters atop the cabinet and letting them run the 10k +

Well ive designed a test horn and run some basic frquency sweeps and well it all seems to crop off after 10k. Now i have to calibrate my euipment then try again.

But upon designing the horn its responce did say it would drop off after this.
So i need to know some basic 1" CD parameters for a 80w driver (the one i have are Kenford com-44) anything close which will give me something to redesign a horn around.

And anything that will help raise the HF responce.

Otherwise i am considering putting my bullet tweters atop the cabinet and letting them run the 10k +

I have run into a hole in the response from 9KHz to 12kHz for most of the 1" throat horns.
As far as the driver output some continue to drop off and some have a spike upwards after that.
My thinking is it is a wavelength problem for around 10kHz and cannot be fixed.

For horn design, that is out of my league. I might copy a conical horn, but CD horns are too complex.
I can and do measure simple polar plots (Not full balloons) and on axis.
That is a long way from designing one.

What are you using this for?
Home audio or sound reinforcement?
If home audio I would look for another tweeter.

Does seeing this 10k+kHz roll-off and/or resonances indicate that a 1" throated horn driver is just too big for extended frequency response in the domestic High Fidelity duty?
I have seen just a couple of slightly smaller driver throats, but the market seems to be aimed at the PA duty. 1" and 2" throats have enormous diaphragms.

What is available in horn drivers that can extend smoothly to 18kHz and/or beyond?

Does anyone make a good (but affordable) ~30mm diaphragm with 15mm throat that can perform up to the top end of the audio range smoothly.

Last edited:
Okay

So right im gonna get a setup from a friend to test the speakers properly.
Ive just picked up the 19mm ply for the bass bins, so will build the system up first and then do the tests.
The horns are still in the test stages so can be changed as needed after tests
But for now got a big deco gig in Austria to do so gonna leave it for 2 weeks till thats done.

Like i said anyone got any ideas for ANY t/s specs that i can use in hornresp to model the horn i need. As well there are no specs for KENFORD.

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.