PA system for sporting club

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been tasked to help upgrade the PA system at a sporting club I belong to. A dealer has recommended TOA mixer amplifier, TOA speakers, and Shure wireless microphone. Speakers will be outdoors, rest is indoors.

TOA Amplifiers and Mixer/Amplifiers

So I have a really dumb question. What do we use for pre-recorded music? MP3 player connected to to the amp? Ipod Touch? I'd like something a bit more professional than that, at least something where I can select the next song, has a GUI, preferably a touch interface, preferable runs of mains power.

The system will only be used ~20 days per year.

Last edited:
Satellite radio receiver. FM radio receiver. CD players. Or one of the newer things you mention.

Think hard about the use of the system. If the speakers are outdoors and rarely used, will it really be a critical listening envirnment? SO is there a need for fancy program selection? Certainly an iPod or other MP3 player would work, and you can select songs at random.

But at most parties or gathering, unless you have a DJ situation, a "mix tape" approach ought to work. If you want to make up a play list on your MP3 in advance and let it play itself at the event, you need not tend the system.

Connect everything to the mixing table and leave a space for a free and friendly DJ connection where he can connect his professional mixers/CD's/consoles (Pioneer's & Vestax's) on occasion.
On your side stay with professional material (rack) because it doesn't break as much when you don't expect. As an example for tuner/CD/Mp3 and on...:Piano:
Audac - CMP30 Digital Audio Source - Tuner - CD - MP3
Audac - CMP30 product information
InterM TU-610 Stereo Tuner
Inter-M

If they are spec-ing the 900 series you will be able to tell the contractor what you need to connect and they will get you the appropriate cards. Aside from maybe a little system eq which can be added, they will do a fine job and are pretty rock solid and stand up to a lot of abuse.

Thanks for your ideas everyone

- I like the idea of using racks, it would allow all the equipment to be kept safely together. A mini rack should suffice.
- I think there MUST be inputs for a DJ setup, which could simply being able to connect a PC
- having a CD/AM FM tuner/MP3 player sounds good too

I've also found some useful sites
The Announcer's Blog
Sports-Music_Programming : Sports-Music Programming
http://www.sportssoundspro.com/ (music/sounds sequenced on on a PC)
ProAudio - Live Event Audio Presentation System - Sporting Event Audio Presentation System - Live Event Audio Production Professional (ie expensieve)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.