Best 24-32 channel mixer for the buck - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2011, 11:38 PM   #11
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I like PV stuff. I think when you say " a Peavey did this or that,' it is like saying a General Motors car did this or that. Was it a Chevette, a Corvette, a minivan? New Peavey, old Peavey, large small? They are not generic.

(I am reminded of my brother in law swearing a Beta VCR was better than a VHS, and then was surprised when his $200 Beta didn't make better pictures than his $1100 VHS.)

I don't like blanket statements about brands, even Behringer.

My shop is an authorized repair center for Mackie, Peavey, and Behringer, among others, and frankly they all make nice boards. WHat I consider on the road is servicability and reliability. They all will sound nice. PV has service centers all over, and the factory will send you any schematics you want direct for the asking, plus the parts department there will sell you any part. The PV gear tends to be reliable, and I'd take it on the road with me.

Behringer is at the other end of the scale. It is darned hard to find a service center locally, and the company will not send schematics to anyone not authorized, and parts can be an issue for civilians.

Mackie falls in the middle, you can get schematics, there are service centers but a lot fewer of them.

Features of course matter, but most brands make a wide range of models.

And used is indeed worth looking at.
Old 15th December 2011, 03:36 AM   #12
steze48 is offline steze48  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
I like PV stuff. I think when you say " a Peavey did this or that,' it is like saying a General Motors car did this or that. Was it a Chevette, a Corvette, a minivan? New Peavey, old Peavey, large small? They are not generic.

(I am reminded of my brother in law swearing a Beta VCR was better than a VHS, and then was surprised when his $200 Beta didn't make better pictures than his $1100 VHS.)

I don't like blanket statements about brands, even Behringer.

My shop is an authorized repair center for Mackie, Peavey, and Behringer, among others, and frankly they all make nice boards. WHat I consider on the road is servicability and reliability. They all will sound nice. PV has service centers all over, and the factory will send you any schematics you want direct for the asking, plus the parts department there will sell you any part. The PV gear tends to be reliable, and I'd take it on the road with me.

Behringer is at the other end of the scale. It is darned hard to find a service center locally, and the company will not send schematics to anyone not authorized, and parts can be an issue for civilians.

Mackie falls in the middle, you can get schematics, there are service centers but a lot fewer of them.

Features of course matter, but most brands make a wide range of models.

And used is indeed worth looking at.
HMMM...Now I did say in the $500.00 to $1000.00 price range so I guess that is the Chevette of mixers...
Peavey has always been good equipment but I haven't used any sense the 80's...With todays economy, People are cutting corners here in the USA and using inferrior parts... That is one point I am basing my search on...
I did buy new Peavey speakers right from the start and happy so far...
I did take someones advice on the Behringer EP 2000 amp. Others have told me that the amp will not hold up after a while...Well we'll see! It is new out of the box with a warranty.
I personally have not used any Mackie products but have read an extensive list of reviews and like the semplicity of them...In fact I have red extensive reviews on all mentioned mixers above.
I agree with you about access to service centers for the products I do choose to purchase but if they are made right I shouldn't have to use them other than normal maintenance and cleaning which all will need sooner or later.
A little Carbon Tetrichloride or what ever it was replaced with today that is "Green"....

So far we have 1 for Mackie and 1 for Peavey in my price range...
After Jan. 1st I will be buying a mixer...
Our New Years Eve VFW gig will pay great and it will be a good time to buy...
Thank you for your input Enzo...
Steve...
Old 15th December 2011, 04:12 AM   #13
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

"but if they are made right I shouldn't have to use them "

Even the Rolls Royce dealer has a service department. WHat if the need for service is some sort of damage? A mic stand falls on a couple faders and snaps them off? That has nothing to do with how well they are made. If a kid steps on his guitar cord, it is as likely to break the jack on a cheap crappy little amp as it is on a $1000 amp.
Old 15th December 2011, 06:12 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
"but if they are made right I shouldn't have to use them "

Even the Rolls Royce dealer has a service department. WHat if the need for service is some sort of damage? A mic stand falls on a couple faders and snaps them off? That has nothing to do with how well they are made. If a kid steps on his guitar cord, it is as likely to break the jack on a cheap crappy little amp as it is on a $1000 amp.
Yes! Good point Enzo...Could happen to the best of them...
Have you got any mixers there in your shop for sale?
Old 15th December 2011, 06:41 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
If a GL4000 is too rich, how about a GL3? That should be within your budget.
Gl3 looks like a all business mixer...Do you have one?
Old 15th December 2011, 07:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

No, but I've used them and fixed them.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th December 2011, 07:36 PM   #17
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Personally I own a Soundcraft LX7 I Have the 16 Mic channel version but bigger boards are available.
I bought it in preference over the Mackie for using at gigs. Technically the Mackie has better preamps, but is more geared to recording, rather than live sound. I,m not completely familiar with the Mackie 24-4 but if I was you I would look carefully at the specs of the mixer.
What won me over to the Soundraft LX7 were the 100Hz Hi pass filters - The EQ with 2 sweepable mids. The inserts points being in the right place for adding compressors to each channel, and the physical layout of the mixer, which is easier to operate in a live setting.
Regards Martin
Old 16th December 2011, 02:45 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Make sure you can replace individual "slider" linear pots and the rotary pots. Some cheap builders now put a lot of features into a "throw-away" mixer that requires the replacement of entire boards, instead of individual parts. Good for a year, then throw it out. Don't get one of them used!
Old 18th December 2011, 04:34 PM   #19
maxak47 is offline maxak47  Belarus
diyAudio Member

what about Allen and Heath GL2400-24 24-Channel Mixer? I like that one!
Old 21st December 2011, 12:15 AM   #20
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

Peavey has a awesome 24 channel board for 1 grand

Hide this!Advertise here!