Crown CE1000 any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, looking at a crown ce1000 for $75 and wondering if it will meet my expectations. I'm looking for a decent sounding amp for my home set up, i need to power 4 70s era 15" cabs and a single 15" bandpass bass cab with good authority. I used to have an old kenwood ka-701 dc integrated that powered everything with plenty of balls so if it can match that i would be happy.

I'm very worried though at how they rate this amp in max watts at 1khz, its realy no reference for me. right now i have a "100wpc" radio shack pa amp that puts 28wrms into 4ohms at 50hz continuous and it has almost no authority below 40hz so this max rating all the pa amps have makes me skeptical.

now this crown amp is rated at 275wpc into 8ohm and 450 into 4... the distortion specs especially the IMD dont thrill me so this thing would realy have to be a powerhouse to justify it. obviously crown is much better then my rat shack junker but this rat shak amp has made me skeptical of pa stuff in general I guess. If anyone has any experience with this amp that can tell me how much power it actually makes I would appreciate it.

It would drive your speakers with ease compared to the Kenwood amp and would be fine as part of a hi-fi setup.

Just don't think about taking it out and using it as part of any real PA system though, as these really were the low end Crown amps when they were produced and they really aren't rated for being pushed hard continuously. The heatsink and power transformer are too small for it to be driven hard constantly.

Also, bear in mind that if it does go pop, then it will be a pain to repair thanks to Crown's poor service manuals and plenty of surface mount parts to replace. There was a repair thread on here a while ago for one of these amps and the damage from a simple output short had reached all the way back to the input stages.

Ok cool, I only run my amp hard (like almost full volume on the kenwood) for maybe 4 hours at a time once or twice a week and the rest of the time I just pretty much let my stuff play low volume pretty much whenever I'm at home.

It also comes with some nu mark cd player and some other 1 rack space misery item with no description so its a pretty good deal if it all works.

And may I further assassinate R**** S****. I always wondered why their speakers & headphones sounded so bad but had specs as good as anybody's. One too truthful supplier of a R***** S***** headphone let the secret out in the little folder that came with it. The specified response was 20-20000 +- 3db. The production tolerance was +-20 db. HAHAHAHAHA. If all the units come out precisely -19.5 db at 30 hz, R****S***** could care less. The only R***** S***** product I can recommend was okay was the 5 clip lead set. And that was 10 years ago, maybe since then they have found out how to make them out of one 36 ga wire.
Note US Tan*y corp R***** S***** appears to be no relation to the RS electronics supplier in the UK.

Last edited:
What do you guys mean by "old design"?? Yes, they're an obsolete model now, but back then their Tekron division was kicking butt with revolutionary circuits. I had two CE-4000 and used many others for PA sound systems, and they definitely deliver. The small power transformer and light weight are a wonder of the switching mode amp design that's still just about state of the art. Plug directly into any AC from 100 to 240 volts and it just works without any adjustment or switches or anything. Will do its rated power all day long. On the other hand, they won't do even one watt more for short peaks than their average rating, so it's nice to spec them with more watts than you would for a more conventional amp. Better question is whether fans bother you (does the little-brothr CE1000 have fans??).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.