Plywood enclosure coatings (paint, carpet, tolex, etc.) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2011, 04:36 PM   #21
imix500 is online now imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Because it hasn't been suggested- Polane is a very popular paint for PA cabinets.
Old 18th November 2011, 02:14 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

sherwin williams right ? what's the cost on that per gallon ?
Old 18th November 2011, 02:39 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Top Shelf,
what's a roller brush? Is that a stucko roller sleeve or a brush?

I'm certain I'm going to put on more than one coat of duratex. I didn't buy as much as I thought; the bucket looks bigger in the picture without any size reference, and it's only 1 gallon. I want 2 coats on 2 cabinets, inside and out.

I guess I need to make some panels to go behind the recessed spring-loaded handles and I should make a router guide for the handle cutouts, but I might just use the electric hand-held sabre saw.

I really need to borrow a table saw for a few odd-angle corner braces.
Old 18th November 2011, 03:06 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Yeah its the "disposable " sleeve that goes on the roller handle itself. A stucco sleeve may or may not be able to properly coat the Duratex onto your boxes, I suggested it because it is similar to the acrytech roller sleeve. When I first bought duratex I bought their roller sleeve and haven't looked back. I've done 6 boxes with it , and it hasn't deteriorated . It washes out very easily. Like I said that gallon pail should easily do 80-100 sqaure feet , I would definitley just do 1 coat first and try the durability. I've been using it for a year and a half and unless you're dragging your cabs across ashphalt every gig without caster wheels it'll be fine
Old 18th November 2011, 03:10 AM   #25
imix500 is online now imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
sherwin williams right ? what's the cost on that per gallon ?
Yup. I can't remember off the top of my head. I know it's more than what we use at work for cabinets from SW which is $50/gallon, but the Polane is a much harder finish.
Old 18th November 2011, 07:12 PM   #26
bartbrn is offline bartbrn  United States
diyAudio Member

West Marine -- not the cheapest (nor the most expensive), but, in my experience -- I live on Connecticut's Fabulous Vacation Shoreline! (Come see the incredible crap that floats over from Long Island!) -- and, though I wouldn't own a boat if ou paid me, they've got (of course) the whole West System, and the people who work in the store weren't selling shoes in Wal-Mart last week -- generally, they really know heir stuff. even if you're not into fiberglass/epoxy, etc. (and you should be!) check out Gougeon Brothers online magazine "EpoxyWorks" at, oddly enough, EPOXYWORKS
Check out the readers' galleries -- by no means is it all boats; it is just staggering how much incredible talent is out their, and the EpoxyWorks gallery has (off the top of my bald head) R/C boats/aircraft/cars, robotics, car stereo enclosures of the absolutely wildest design, experimental aircraft (exp aircraft forums are a great source of info on plywood, glass, carbon fiber, Kevlar, and composites of all sorts), composite cars, bicycles, motorcycles, seats... well, the galleries are just amazing, and composites (including plywood, a vastly underrated structural material) are the bomb.
Old 13th December 2011, 10:45 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I had to reound all the outer edges on the cabinets so that the black plastic corner protectors fit correctly. Now because the corners are rounded I can't bolt on extruded aluminum angle protection (besides, some of the corners are not 90 degrees). So I was looking at some kind of rubber or plastic I could glue or staple down. One durable possibility is a "keel protector" again from the boating aftermarket. Stuff is meant to bend and shape to the hull's keel line. It uses a 2-part adhesive (primer/activator applied to surface, then the keel-guard is pre-coated with the adhesive). Any experience or advice?
Old 14th December 2011, 02:38 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I have no expirience with that stuff but on my cabs especially with routered edges I use multiple layered fiberglass/epoxy that gets dura tex finished that way I don't worry about jigging up hardware for the edges. Hope that helps for your next box.
Old 14th December 2011, 03:06 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Just checked on polane T ppricing, $89/ gal + tax for the main bucket and $113/gal for the catalyst but the catalyst will mix into 6 gallons of the main polyurethane. So its about $120 / gal finished. Just a thought.
Old 15th December 2011, 05:53 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

And an interesting thought. But if I was doing that I'd go for epoxy rather than polyurethane.

Hide this!Advertise here!