Plywood enclosure coatings (paint, carpet, tolex, etc.) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2011, 01:52 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I've used coal tar epoxy rolled on for some plywood cabinets I have hanging outside under an eve of my house. I found 2 gallons for 20 bucks at a local surplus store. I put it on with a textured roller intended for truck bed liner which left a nice textured finish. It is holding up well so far but I really wouldn't recommend it unless you can get it cheap because it smells horrible and stains everything brown that it comes in contact with.
Old 9th November 2011, 02:25 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_O_33 View Post
I put it on with a textured roller intended for truck bed liner which left a nice textured finish. It is holding up well so far but I really wouldn't recommend it unless you can get it cheap because it smells horrible and stains everything brown that it comes in contact with.
Jeez that made me laugh so hard, I was imagining a bucket of poop. No offense to your suggestion , I've got a weird sense of humour.
Old 9th November 2011, 02:35 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Haha I didn't even catch that. The stuff's not THAT bad!
Old 11th November 2011, 06:05 AM   #14
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOR3 View Post
I haven't tried those products, but there's a West Marine in Long Beach. They'll sell you the West System epoxy, which is pretty good stuff.
Regards,
George

+1 on that. I live in Redondo Beach and I've been in the LB West Marine. Nothing is going to beat the West System epoxy (No relation to the store, both just happen to have "west" in their names) The neat thing abut West Epoxy is the fillers they sell. Mix in some milled fiber and you will not even be able to sand the coating.
Old 11th November 2011, 06:11 AM   #15
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

SPRAY ON BOXLINER SPRAY!!!

Does not smell. Extremely durable, looks great, does not smear.

It has never let me down, great for audio products, you'll never go back.
Old 14th November 2011, 08:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

So what it "boxliner spray"? Is that a pickup truck bedliner?
Old 14th November 2011, 08:31 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Have you tried Duratex? I love it
I ordered a large quantity. I doubt it will hold up anywhere near as well as epxoy but it will look good at least initially. I didn't purchase their rollers, so I'll have to figure something out. I just can't afford high-quality marine epoxy at those prices.

Someone mentioned a place for hardwre too, and I even found some corners at the correct angle for trapeziod cabinets.

Now I need something heavy and stiff but rubbery to spray or brush inside to dampen the plywood panels. I'm adding a brace, but it needs something more.
Old 14th November 2011, 08:48 PM   #18
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

I just finished a small combo amp. It has an 8" speaker and about a 1 cubic foot box. The varnish I used is slightly pricy but I only used about 3/4 of an inch out of the can. It goes a long way. So maybe it cost me $4.

You'd be surprised the amount of physical abuse a 3/4" pine box with just varnish and no metal corners can take. I built some sample test parts of the joints and smashed them up with a 5 pound sledge hammer, without the hammer it was not going to came apart, tossing it 10 or 12 feet into the air, landing on concrete did about nothing. Other type of construction (nailed but joints, biscuts,...) did not hold up the photo below shows the winner.

I like NOT having metal corners on the equipment because the inside of my car and home furniture takes less of a beating. Mostly the stuff I'd bump with a speaker box is more valuable than the speaker box, so no corners, and like I said the speaker box will survive anything short of a sledge hammer

here is a photo
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2891...e8ee#gallery:0
Old 16th November 2011, 11:21 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Nice combo amp.

I found metal stacking corners from JBL and plastic ones from a hardware company near Hollywood. I got some 1" MDF for making a new baffleboard. I got paint, corners, Neutrik and 1/4 jacks and plates, and handles. Spent more on that than I did on box and drivers.
Old 17th November 2011, 04:21 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hey cycle camper,you could try a stucco roller brush for the duratex. They look similar to the acrytech roller brush just alittle more open. Also if you want a super tough finish you can always put another coat of the duratex on later. Or try a sprayer, I got one from Dominion sure seal thru Canadian Tire for $23 ,I think it uses a regular HVLP paint pot.

Hide this!Advertise here!