Electronic Crossovers - your favorite? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2011, 01:48 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

The Marchand have really good specs, along the lines of the dbx units. The BSS are more expensive than I can afford right now. I'm leaning towards the dbx 234 since this system will probably be a 3 way. The issue for me is whether or not it's worth it to have an electronic crossover between a horn midrange and a horn tweeter @ 5kHz. The tweeter takes so little power, and I don't know how sensitive I am to that frequency (since I have high frequency hearing loss - can't hear much above 10kHz). The tweeter is the B&C ME10/DE10 compression driver. The midrange is something else entirely. So, I may just get an analog 2 way stereo unit for my first crossover... I've never had one before so this is all new to me. So, I may get the dbx 223.

I did buy a used Crown D75A amp yesterday for $250. Since they sell new for a grand, I thought that was a good deal.
Old 6th November 2011, 03:03 PM   #22
Tajzmaj is offline Tajzmaj  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

It is hard to say what is worth and what not.......my experience is that if you want to control the sound which means cut frequency phase .....limit.....little eq it......and so on than digital filter for each separate speaker shows absolute advantage.....and if you want to readjust it easily ...... but of course it is expensive...
I find this thread......it will maybe help you...
Diy digital crossover
Best regards, Taj
Old 6th November 2011, 03:10 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

P.S.
Don't get ma wrong.....I love analog stuff, tubes, transformers, big bulky heavy power amps......, vintage compressors.....but not for crossovers. Good passive crossover is great thing but it is hard to calibrate it.......when you choose active filter than go with good quality digital one. It is worth every single dollar, euro, pound......When I bought my first BSS it was like completely new sound system....everything was clear nice controlled.......like completely other sound system. Again I can't tell you how much I recommend good digital filter to you...
Very best regards, Taj
Old 6th November 2011, 11:25 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajzmaj View Post
P.S.
Don't get ma wrong.....I love analog stuff, tubes, transformers, big bulky heavy power amps......, vintage compressors.....but not for crossovers. Good passive crossover is great thing but it is hard to calibrate it.......when you choose active filter than go with good quality digital one. It is worth every single dollar, euro, pound......When I bought my first BSS it was like completely new sound system....everything was clear nice controlled.......like completely other sound system. Again I can't tell you how much I recommend good digital filter to you...
Very best regards, Taj
OK, thanks for your input. I'll think about it some more.
Old 8th November 2011, 11:31 PM   #25
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm afraid to drive tweeters directly from an amp without a passive crossover. I just know something would go horribly wrong.
Old 9th November 2011, 12:10 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

There of course can go wrong.....most common mistake is to connect tweeter to the wrong amp....for an example to the amp which plays subs.....if you mess up cables. The other thing is that you can destroy tweeter by setting fut frequency too low. It is good idea to connect capacitor in series with tweeter anyway to prevent the damage from the first case. But calculate it lower than cut frequency because you don't want to have phase problems around the cut.....
But don't be afraid. Modern digital crossovers have really good limiters and you can protect the speakers really well. I drive Beyma CP850/nd drivers with Carver PM950 amps. Only one driver per each channel.So the amps are way oversized... In past 5 years when those speakers were new I did't destroy any of them and I have 16 of them 8 per side. And of course I push them hard when it is needed. I use cut frequency which maybe seems quite high for 2'' drivers which is 1,6KHz but matching 15'' speakers allow me so.
Again don't be afraid to use good active crossover only be careful what is connected where and how it is set.
Regards, Taj
Old 9th November 2011, 01:23 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

I have really large planar dynamic tweeters. If I connected the subwoofer amp to them the room would just get a little warmer.

You always set up and test quietly first...

Doing pro PA we always had seperate limiters after the crossovers. We'd set them during the real performance to just a bit more than the live program material. But that wasn't to protect the horns (field-replaceable diaphragms) it was to protect the performers so that feedback was never ever much louder than the performance (in case the feedback-destroyer automatic filters fail or some fool swings the mic into a monitor). One really bad squeal leaving all the artists temporarily deaf and the show kinda goes downhill from there...
Old 9th November 2011, 12:57 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangus View Post
I'm afraid to drive tweeters directly from an amp without a passive crossover. I just know something would go horribly wrong.
Yeah, and they need such a small amount of power, particularly in a 3 way system where the tweeter is only for really high frequencies. If I can work out a passive crossover for this compression driver tweeter I think I'll use it. I have other ideas cooking of course, so this may be a series of changes instead of just a set system.
Old 9th November 2011, 01:14 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

For domestc use hi-fi use I think you don't need any active crossover ..it can be done passive. But for a pro, live sound.....applications there is no space for passive filters. At least not in FOH systems. There you can still find some passive filters in stage wedges or some smaller speakers...
For an example. I can feed over 200W in my compression drivers...without any damage but I must cut them under 1,5KHz.....and limit them well. And I can do it very easily by using FDS366 which has excellent limiters at each output with adjustable speed and overshot.....
http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/CP850ND.pdf
It depends what we are talking about. If about small soft dome tweeters than this is probably wrong forum because such tweeters are not common in Live Sound/PA Systems
Very best regards from London.....it's sunny...mmmmm
Taj
Old 9th November 2011, 01:28 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I'm happy with the s/h BSS FDS360 I use in my home system.
They were dirt cheap and I changed all opamps from TL072 and lf351 to OPA2134 which I got cheap. They are rather good now and the new opamps made a small but significant difference.

Hide this!Advertise here!