Electronic Crossovers - your favorite?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TDM's are great....I use them and have a stash of them tucked away

For this type of active analog crossovers my favorite for performance and cost is TDM.

TDM Audio Crossovers Equalizers and Compressors

http://www.tdm-design.com/acrobat/crossovermanual.pdf

I have seen these in several large Pas before digital was available at a reasonable price.
I have seen it many times for monitors where you need many, many devices for a dozen or more cabinets. Here is one on ebay

TDM 24CX-4, stereo 3 way/Quad 2 way electronic crossover | eBay

As for setting level to match use a MultiMeter and a CD with test tones.

If you can afford DSP you have some choices.
DBX Driverack
Behringer
XTA

After that things get pricey last time I priced things.

In the end it depends how much help your speakers need to “Sum Flat”.
I end up using horns and 12” that has to go higher then I would prefer.
In addition to High-Pass and Low-Pass I need to use Parametric EQs most of the time.
The cheapest way is then a DSP.

I just built this:

main.php

It is 2 MiniDSP 2x4 balanced powered by a laptop SMPS. All the connectors are XLR. I tested it at the weekend and it performed very well. To avoid ground loops I used Nylon standoffs to mount the PCBs.

col.

For a home system like this post started the Media Matrix series while very good may be a little over kill. As for DSP choices there's a lot to pick from before hitting the bottom with a Behringer, BSS, XTA, Klark Teknik, Lake, DBX, Xillica, TC electronic, Yamaha come to mind this morning. In the right system and application analog done right can still sound very good.

Money no object I'd go for XTA.
XTA was formed by ex-Klark Teknik engineers who weren't happy with KT. XTA uses 96k ample rate instead of KTs 48k, they now work closely with MC2 Audio (founded by KTs ex-technical director and the bloke who started E.A.R. with de Paravincini) and Quested.

Personally I use modified BSS analogue ones as previously mentioned since I still use vinyl as well as my computer.

I would like to check out an MC2 power amp some time, unfortunately there kind of few and far between here in the states.

S/h they are a rare sight even here in the UK although new they are readily available.
There are a number of companies who have used or are still using re-badged MC2 amps: Tannoy and Dynaudio did until they got bought by TC Group, who also own LabGruppen, with predictable results, TurboSound, Funktion One use them for their PAs and Quested Audio for their larger studio monitors.
Once I even saw a Bose badged T series amp.
Except the two largest E series, which are class D, all models use the same audio circuitry btw.

Officially MC2 have seized production of their MC series amps (some say that the MC1250 was the best power amp ever made regardless of target market) but they seem to live on as Quested Audio amps.

PS: Bit of a fanboy, I use three of theirs in my stereo: A T500, a MC450 (painted black and badged 'Tannoy') and a MC650 (badged 'Quested' which came out of Abbey Road Studios).

New to be tested

Just thought id drop in my 2 cents.

The Bunker BPD-1
Bunker

Im ordering one very soon and trying it out, so can comment then
but im impressed with the specs and i have been chatting to the MD about them. He tells me there is an upgrade coming in about 4-6 months for connectivity to a PC system for computer control.

Anyways, just seems a little better than the DCX at about the same price.

Because

I decided to contact the company because i had fond thier product quite interesting. They seemed to have a good market position by offering some things that only more expensive units have, but also being cheaper than equivelent products.

Mearly that i am going to get one of thier units and thought it would be worth mentioning on a thread about active crossovers.

Gotta give everyone a chance right, otherwise you might miss something interesting.

A friend of mine has recently bought a Bunker crossover and is very pleased with it compared with his DBX driverack. The killer feature of the Bunker is that it is 2 in 8 out so gives good savings over 6 out crossovers that have to be used in pairs for 4 way active setup

I use a couple of the Bunker BPD 1. What is good about them is that all those extra outputs are completely independent of the previous output. Each output has the internal circuitry to do any task....

The Dbx driverack.... No chance to do subwoofer on the third output, with anything near a good result. I sold my Dbx unit to start buying these. You can drive an entire subwoofer array with one of these if you want, as all outputs will do subwoofer's high and low pass no problem.

Very clean specifications, and the parametric eq's on all the outputs work very well. These units have the texas instruments 4 channel chips inside.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.