Problem with Live sound - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2011, 03:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Problem with Live sound

[help=
Im currently trying to figure out what is going wrong with my system. I'm thinking it's the age of the mixer and needs to be replaced.

My situation is that I have 14 Audio Technica goosneck mics (49Q pro / AT81615RS) connected to and old 16 xlr Mackie mixer with 2 crown amps broadcasting to 12 overhead speakers. The speakers are a good 40 feet up over the mic. I have the mixer at about 1/2 gain, anymore I get feedback, the channels at about 0 to +20. Phantom is on. The problem is that it should be a nice volume but it comes out very soft and I have the volume at about 75 to 85%.

Is the mixer the problem or am I missing something? If more information is needed I can fill in holes.
][/help]
Old 19th October 2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Are all 14 mics open at once? Even with the speakers 40 feet up (that's a lot), you're still asking for trouble. Did you ring out the system to find your feedback frequencies?
Old 19th October 2011, 03:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No I have not. The mixer has somewhat of an EQ but not really anything special not to mention the room is sharing a wall next to a commercial freezer and washroom. Open doors and and HVAC unit. So the ambient noise in the room changes a lot. Never had an issue using 58's in the room but switiching to condensors makes a world of difference. You think maybe getting a better mixer would help this?
Old 19th October 2011, 03:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A Dugan automatic microhone mixer could be the answer. E
Old 19th October 2011, 03:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The Dugan is nice but kind of out of the price range.
Old 19th October 2011, 03:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

SM58's are reputed to respond only to mouths right in front of them. That is why they sell so many. See this thread where a new SM58 purchaser is complaining they only have sensitivity right in front of them. Reduced Output Level from a Dynamic Mic Right.

Last edited by indianajo; 19th October 2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:01 AM   #7
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Are these mics right in front of mouths? Or is this a conference table sort of situation, or some kind of panel discussion? SInce they are goosenecks, I am guessing this is not a choir or musical group.

COnsider some PZM mics. They can be placed in the center of a conference table without sounding way off mic. They also work sitting on the surfacce of a lectern rather than sticking up in the air. They are made specifically for this sort of thing.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the mixer, but if you made wholesale changes to the microphones, then I imagine your system needs to be EQed from scratch.

Has the room installation been EQed ever? DO you run a graphic equalizer between mixer and amplifiers? ANd the brute strength approach would be to add a feedback buster unit to the system
Old 20th October 2011, 03:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

No the room has never needed to be EQ'ed mainly for reasons that they are using it for not its original purposes. The mics were setup in a hollow square table formation so every one in the meeting could make eye contact. I have never had to EQ the room but this is also the first time that I have used this many condensor mics in the room together.
Old 21st October 2011, 05:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The pickup pattern of the mics is probably your issue, as I would expect like a lot of condenser mics they are good at picking up ambient sounds, which is both a good thing and a bad thing depending on the application. As other people have suggested, get an EQ (Behringer do a relatively cheap unit with feedback detection that you can use to quickly identify the problem frequencies and attenuate them) and try and tame the system.

Is it quite a hard surface room as well?
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:39 AM   #10
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Seriously, look up PZMs - "pressure zone microphones"

It is a type of mic, not a brand name. Crown made them first, I think, but nowdays many make them. Even if they are not what you seek, the information on them may be illuminating to your situation.

I agree with the above poster who suggested pickup pattern as the issue. An omnidirectional mic will tend to feed back more than a cardioid. I don't think the condenser-ness is the problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!