Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2011, 01:26 PM   #21
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Some feedback suppressors or an EQ will go a long, long way toward solving your problem.
Then you have to learn how to use them - how to ring out the room. Your RTA from a friend will help you there.

Turn the mics on - all of them if that how you normally run. Start bringing up the master until you get the first feedback tone. Look at the RTA and then notch out that frequency on the EQ. Raise the master again until you get the next feedback tone. EQ it out. Repeat.

You may need to notch out 3-5 frequencies to get the levels you want without feedback. Some of the feedback eliminators will do this for you automatically.
Old 25th October 2011, 04:10 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

As I see it W2G wants to buy a new board. He just wanted an excuse.

The advice given is interesting. There actually is some debate as to using an octave or 1/3 octave equalizer to get a "House" curve. Most recent (10 years or so) pro gear is better than what you get if you try to fix things with EQ.

But there are things EQ are good for. Every room will have resonant modes and a good parametric can be used for that. It should take 3 bands of EQ for a good room and no more than 5!

You also can group your microphones according to type and use an EQ per mic group. That is very handy when you have lavaliers. Again I prefer a parametric.

Finally the board EQ should have at least one sweepable and adjustable bandwidth filter for any specific fixes.

Auto filters are of limited usefulness unless the rest of the system is right.
Old 25th October 2011, 04:36 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

The excuse may have been (emphasize the may). I tested out the board and the actual gains themselves are sending noise so a new one was already in the works anyways. More reasons the get one the more chance of recieving one. The one I looked at has effects. So that and EQ Behringer FBQ3102 I should hopefully be good to go using the condensors as soon I get it I am going to EQ the room.

Hide this!Advertise here!