Why is a pro woofer bad for home use? - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 01:33 AM   #81
diyAudio Member
 
Veronica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles CA
Send a message via Yahoo to Veronica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I think pro woofer in general is not good for home use because when it is designed, compromise have been taken to make sure the driver has long-throw capability, a critical requirement for outdoor speaker system.
Pro Audio is a SEPARATE issue from the throw.

NOT ALL Pro Audio is long throw.
Monitors are NEAR FIELD.

Low frequency drivers ALL throw a long way regardless.
An LF driver pushes sound waves from the moment that the cone moves and it is audible in ALL fields near, mid and far. This is why the friendly badged gentlemen with the lights on their car roof stop by my house with the LOW frequencies are up because LOW frequencies travel a LONG distance.

What the "throw" is referring to is the Q or directivity of the sound.
If we look at the LF drivers we see that the size of the voice coil in the magnet and the angle of the cone can slightly change the directivity by making the cone shape vary somewhat, however in LF there is not much difference between throw, LF pretty much just goes EVERYWHERE.

Where we get a HUGE difference is in the HORN shape. Horns come in ANY size and shape imaginable. Horns do more than just "throw" the sound, they focus it to where we want it and NOT where we dont, putting more volume in the right place and less is wasted.

A large diameter horn such as 90 or 120 degree would be considered short throw even if it were directional such as a 90 by 40 or a 120 by 40 because it disperses in short range.

A mid range horn would be like a 60x40

Long throw would be a 40x40 or 40x20.

So for this reason, I disagree that all pro audio is "long throw".
In my home, I have 4 Renkus-Heinz MR-122s which are PRO AUDIO Near-Field MONITORS.
Each has a 12" LF Driver (McCauley 12-7) and a 12" Complex Conic horn (90x90 degrees) each driven by dual 3" compression drivers. Nothing long throw on there yet these are PRO AUDIO.

Want to make your long throw pro audio speakers sound better near-field?
SWAP THE HORNS for the dispersion pattern that is optimum for your room. (Add this to my list of advantages of Pro Audio over home systems).

Last edited by Veronica; 24th February 2012 at 01:44 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 12:23 PM   #82
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
i like pa woofers at home. but mine neighbours don't when i put them on
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 09:34 PM   #83
Rob41 is offline Rob41  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Rob41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Michigan
There is a lot of really good information in this thread. Unfortunately I'm noticing there are two very large distinct groups on the subject of pro-speakers for home use.

1. People who know how well these speakers can be implemented for home use.
2. People who dismiss all of those people's experience as rubbish.

I don't doubt the nay sayer's have not experienced sonic nirvana provided by pro-speakers but I do doubt they have had the inclination to replicate any of the believers home-brewed examples.

As for loud, well my speakers can do that very well but I'm usually vary happy using 1/2 to 2w. My amps and my speakers don't even break a sweat. Like veronica shared above, I use a short throw horn for my midrange.
__________________
Nikko Alpha 650/SAE 2600/SAE 2400/Soundcraftsmen MA5002/Heathkit AA-1800/Heathkit AA-1600
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 09:54 PM   #84
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob41 View Post
....noticing there are two very large distinct groups on the subject of pro-speakers for home use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob41 View Post
People who dismiss all of those people's experience as rubbish.
sorry, but have not noticed
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:52 AM   #85
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Veronica, interesting post, but do you think you could tone down the SHOUTING? or you are trying to be heard over the pro woofers? try bolding, or underlining its less in yer face
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 07:08 AM   #86
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Face's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
Veronica, interesting post, but do you think you could tone down the SHOUTING? or you are trying to be heard over the pro woofers? try bolding, or underlining its less in yer face
Why, did she hurt your ears?
__________________
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 07:28 AM   #87
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member
 
JMFahey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Buenos Aires - Argentina
I had to scroll back to see what the fuss is all about.
Found nothing to complain about.
I had expected the typical ALL CAPS FULL OF BRAGGING OR BAD KARMA post we find now and then, which are all but unreadable and cause headaches, but it was not such.
In fact, I found it quite well mannered and to the point.
Caps are one accepted form of EMPHASIS, same as writing between *asterisks* or >like this< or _this_ other way.
In fact, they precede Internet by a long way (as in a couple thousand Years) .
Not forgetting that re-EMailing text (such as Forum EMail notifications) *often* strips text of "font attributes" and meaning sometimes gets lost.
They do the same on "smilies"

By the way, Veronica wrote this one year ago, don't think she's exactly monitoring this thread by now
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:51 AM   #88
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
Why, did she hurt your ears?
no, just my eyes


its still shouting, when I wish to emphasize something in conversation, I dont shout the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey
I had to scroll back to see what the fuss is all about.
Found nothing to complain about.
I had expected the typical ALL CAPS FULL OF BRAGGING OR BAD KARMA post we find now and then, which are all but unreadable and cause headaches, but it was not such.
In fact, I found it quite well mannered and to the point.
Caps are one accepted form of EMPHASIS, same as writing between *asterisks* or >like this< or _this_ other way.
In fact, they precede Internet by a long way (as in a couple thousand Years) .
Not forgetting that re-EMailing text (such as Forum EMail notifications) *often* strips text of "font attributes" and meaning sometimes gets lost.
They do the same on "smilies"

By the way, Veronica wrote this one year ago, don't think she's exactly monitoring this thread by now
Maybe its a matter of opinion and the fact I was a graphic designer/typographer for nearly 10 years, but I find the caps VERY in your face, COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY when used like this. the odd word sure, if a point has been missed and you are frustrated, but almost every sentence?

Here they were used GRATUITOUSLY in an otherwise well formed post. I guess its a byproduct of the internet age or texting, but it would NEVER be accepted anywhere else. It DOESNT make the point any better than without them, it DOESNT add ANY weight to the content. In fact I find it DETRACTS from it.

I didnt notice it was a thread dug up from the depths or I wouldnt have bothered. I wasnt making a huge deal about it, thus my use of emoticons, you guys have made the big deal out of it.

Last edited by qusp; 3rd February 2013 at 10:54 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 05:13 PM   #89
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Face's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
no, just my eyes


its still shouting, when I wish to emphasize something in conversation, I dont shout the word.



Maybe its a matter of opinion and the fact I was a graphic designer/typographer for nearly 10 years, but I find the caps VERY in your face, COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY when used like this. the odd word sure, if a point has been missed and you are frustrated, but almost every sentence?

Here they were used GRATUITOUSLY in an otherwise well formed post. I guess its a byproduct of the internet age or texting, but it would NEVER be accepted anywhere else. It DOESNT make the point any better than without them, it DOESNT add ANY weight to the content. In fact I find it DETRACTS from it.

I didnt notice it was a thread dug up from the depths or I wouldnt have bothered. I wasnt making a huge deal about it, thus my use of emoticons, you guys have made the big deal out of it.
Oh my eyes...
__________________
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:58 PM   #90
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
kevinkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Blog Entries: 6
A reminder, posting in all caps is a violation of forum rules and for all of the reasons mentioned in previous posts. It's also RUDE. Time to move along and get back on topic.. Thank you.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ROCKFORD PRO 301 SP a bad right channel (burns TC11) josesony68 Car Audio 25 5th August 2011 07:26 AM
Using a home preamp with a pro audio power amp SoundLogic Parts 9 24th February 2011 03:04 PM
Home and pro audio equibment interconnect Vetal Solid State 5 17th September 2010 11:10 PM
Pro Audio Equipment In the Home CARTRulz Subwoofers 59 25th June 2006 05:09 PM
Problem using Pro amp with home receiver Phatman91624 Subwoofers 5 9th August 2005 11:53 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:30 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2