Why is a pro woofer bad for home use? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2012, 07:21 PM   #61
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunemaker View Post
Show me the proof
See also:
Why Louder Sounds Better
Old 25th January 2012, 07:23 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondcrazy View Post
I realized how stiff the cones were.
A soggy cone will put out very little bass. I suspect you're referring to the compliance of the suspension. In this case, a light coned driver with a low-compliance suspension would have a high resonance, and therefore be shorter on bass extension than an equivalent driver with a more compliant suspension. T=2pi*sqrt(m/k) where k is the spring constant, T is the time for one cycle.

Loud sounds better, until your ears distort. Then it sounds awful. However, I usually get parents yelling at me if I turn it up, so volume usually stays low. Following this and my previous posts, I've been able to get away with (for my volume demands) home drivers.

When I get my own place, things may be a little different.
Old 25th January 2012, 07:25 PM   #63
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob41 View Post
I had to replace a pair of 15" woofers in a pair of CV PD-3's that I bought new in 1984. I replaced the woofers with a Dayton pro woofer and while I was at it, I replaced the tweeters with a pair to Planar tweeters. I use these (and always have) for home stereo use and I'm very pleased with the results. I have received a ton of flak especially from the audiophile types as if I'm a moron with ludicrous speakers and the icing on the cake to them is that I'm using a pa woofer for home use.

I can see that in most home woofers there a rubber or butyl etc. surround around the cone, whereas on the pro woofers I've seen it's a sort of folded fabric or paper surround. Also the pro woofers seem to have higher power handling capacities as well as higher spl's. Beyond that, why do so many folks think pa woofers are junk for quality home use?
My GedLee Abbeys sound better then any audophile type speaker I've ever owned and they use a B&C woofer and B&C CD.
Old 26th January 2012, 07:36 PM   #64
4642a is offline 4642a  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
But I stick to my guns.
Build your home system with pro drivers of any make or model and as long as I do not need to match SPL I will build a better sounding system with less money using home audio drivers.
i don't agree... I think that if one was to take some top flight pro components (say a pair of JBL 244*s compression drivers with modern Be diaphragms w/ an appropriate horn and a set or two of TAD 1601As and a pair of 2405s) and used some delicacy in the crossover design/optimization... the results can be absolutely stunning (even at VERY low levels) and the resolution can be really un-nerving....

who brought cost into this equation? I thought it was a pure performance sort of evaluation?
Old 26th January 2012, 07:39 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

yeah really. This isn't about low cost...
Old 26th January 2012, 08:32 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Default Pro woofer for home use

In my experience, the music sounds more like a live performance when using a pro woofer. Not sure if this is due to the fact that pro woofers are used in live performances or not. The sound of commercially available speakers in the 85 - 88 dB range, to me, sounds less dynamic, more generic, less like live music and more like a movie soundtrack. Kind of like comparing the "store brand" vanilla ice cream to a premium Ralph's Italian ice. I only have 3 standard woofer builds, and 2 pro woofer builds to go on. Just my opinion.

Last edited by scott17; 26th January 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 26th January 2012, 08:43 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunemaker View Post
I would eat my words if someone could let me listen to a speaker made from pa components that is cabable of any imaging. Its just not gonna happen.
Please come by for a demo. I'm at JFK airport. Easy to get to from almost anywhere.
Old 28th January 2012, 06:24 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

I've been debating whether a pair of Thor subwoofers (2-3 cu. ft. for both) will sound better than one 18" pro woofer in a cubo sub (12 cu. ft.) or ported 18" pro sub tuned to roughly 25 Hz (8 cu. ft.), i.e. the RCF L18P200-N or the P400's look awesome too. The 200-N has a high moving mass (to me this means it might have a strong cone, I don't know?). Qts is .31. Fs is 28 Hz. The greatest advantage to using pro drivers for bass is the limiting of xmax and therefore distortion. I think some one already linked to Zaph's explanation of of why this is, but it should be intuitive to most people I would think. But I still like the concept of the Thor subwoofer, also not to mention every ported woofer I've ever heard didn't sound very good.

P Audio also has some pro woofers with demodulating rings (I'm sure others do) and some are waterproof also. Maybe RCF and other brands have the same features, I don't know. I'm not sure what makes the JBL 2242H cost 2-3 times as much as most pro woofers.

For a cubo sub I like the JBL 2242H just because I guess JBL make the "best" pro drivers, but I don't know much about pro audio.

Last edited by Jimmy154; 28th January 2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 28th January 2012, 07:30 AM   #69
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
True, you need a bigger box to get very low bas out of pro woofers, but you also need a great deal less power. Often 10 times less for the same levels. And with the pro drivers you get dynamics and a big sound (if those things are important to you).
Nice build thread here on our local AV forum Building a real subwoofer - the Leviathan
Old 2nd February 2012, 07:19 PM   #70
pallab is offline pallab  India
diyAudio Member

i have one 12inch pro sub and also have a 12 inch jbl car sub.in home car sub is suitable than pro sub.cur sub is more deeper than pro sub.

Hide this!Advertise here!