Why is a pro woofer bad for home use? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2011, 03:35 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth Ears View Post
Of course, no-one we know would ever use a farm tractor engine in their family car. Would they?

The first engine in the Dodge Viper was basically a truck engine. Does that count?

I guess his analogy is kind of like this one: why would a speaker builder want the tools that a master cabinet craftsman uses?
Old 26th October 2011, 03:54 AM   #22
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

pro woofers are good. they dont look beautiful, but sounds right.

cheers
henry
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:56 AM   #23
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

IMHO, the only thing that matters is whether the TS parameters match the design requirements for the box you intend to use it/them in. Ideally that box would be part of a system designed for a "typical" listening room.

All of the large high efficiency woofers in vogue with the SE triode crowd (myself included) originally came from the pro world.
Old 3rd November 2011, 05:45 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I use them almost exclusively so obviously I like them. There's nothing wrong with using them at home.
Old 11th November 2011, 06:21 AM   #25
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob41 View Post
... I have received a ton of flak especially from the audiophile types as if I'm a moron with ludicrous speakers and the icing on the cake to them is that I'm using a pa woofer for home use...
Here is my take on it. Walk around some place where they have live music. It could be a jazz or rock band playing in a club. Even if you are standing outside the door and you are half deaf anyone can know in a few seconds if the music is live or playing through a stereo. The difference is just obvious. Live music is just so much better. And guess what? The live sound is using pro audio drivers.

But really you don't need such large and sensitive speakers in a small living room. You'd blow the windows out with 10 watts of power
Old 11th November 2011, 09:41 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Well, in a small living room without the space for a horn all those SPLs can be handy. You can build undersized, inefficient boxes and come out evenly matched to hifi midrange speakers.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:46 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Here is my take on it. Walk around some place where they have live music. It could be a jazz or rock band playing in a club. Even if you are standing outside the door and you are half deaf anyone can know in a few seconds if the music is live or playing through a stereo. The difference is just obvious. Live music is just so much better. And guess what? The live sound is using pro audio drivers.

But really you don't need such large and sensitive speakers in a small living room. You'd blow the windows out with 10 watts of power
The very small excursion required by pro drivers usually means much lower distortion, less compression, and higher headroom. Music is full of peaks that need to be fully expressed in order to feel live. This is one of the reasons people love horns in their living rooms... The driver is just cruising along almost all the time. If you don't have the space for horns, then pro type direct radiators are just dandy in my opinion.
Old 11th November 2011, 01:16 PM   #28
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
.......... then pro type direct radiators are just dandy in my opinion.
maybe only some of them

many of the new big woofers are designed to take exstreme 'beating'
thus they are made exstremely sturdy and stiff
the tendency is very clear to see, if you follow the market closely

its not hard to image what happens when such 'heavy' woofers are driven by lower level signal only
or said differently, what might not happen

that said
if you EQ a 35 hz/fs woofer, pushing it down to 20hz, ofcourse you are also feeding it with a lot more power
so maybe that really is the best way to make it move properly

but again, it also takes away the good aspects of the less moving woofer
Old 11th November 2011, 01:24 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
maybe only some of them

many of the new big woofers are designed to take exstreme 'beating'
thus they are made exstremely sturdy and stiff
the tendency is very clear to see, if you follow the market closely

its not hard to image what happens when such 'heavy' woofers are driven by lower level signal only
or said differently, what might not happen

that said
if you EQ a 35 hz/fs woofer, pushing it down to 20hz, ofcourse you are also feeding it with a lot more power
so maybe that really is the best way to make it move properly
It is true that many of them do not model well in the simulation software I use. Some of them are just horrible. The B&C 12PE32 I have for sale for example are really only good for horns. If you put them in a vented box, they basically have no bass below about 100Hz. But, on the other hand, the B&C 15BG100 models extremely well, with a very flat response @ 90+ dB in a vented enclosure down to 30Hz! (including estimated room gain) So, of course, some are good and some are not suitable for home hifi use.

Last edited by dirkwright; 11th November 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11th November 2011, 01:27 PM   #30
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

PA duty drivers are the opposite of "heavy".
They get some of that high efficiency from being low moving mass.

PA drivers will reproduce PA frequencies very loud for the big PA style audiences.

When it comes to domestic listening where reproduction of a very wide range of musical styles is required, the very high SPLs can be swapped to very wide LF bandwidth.
The trick is finding how to load a PA duty driver, to extend deep while sacrificing some of that unwanted SPL.

Hide this!Advertise here!