Why is a pro woofer bad for home use? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2013, 10:25 AM   #111
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
Speakers, though very important, are just part of the problem of sound reproduction
Only part, yes, but speakers (or more accurately the speaker/room acoustic interface) are the most subjective and difficult to get right. The electronics, especially the digital bits, are child's play in comparison. Of course, I get microphones as a complication, too, but that's not generalised.

And they make decent ceiling speakers? Really? I wonder why anyone would do that (although technically my screen speakers in the studio could be considered "wall mounted" as they're flush to the surface in cut outs) for the general uses that style of amplification? They must invariably put them in places with lousy room acoustics…
Old 12th February 2013, 05:34 PM   #112
JackNZ is offline JackNZ  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispenycate View Post
And they make decent ceiling speakers? Really? I wonder why anyone would do that (although technically my screen speakers in the studio could be considered "wall mounted" as they're flush to the surface in cut outs) for the general uses that style of amplification? They must invariably put them in places with lousy room acoustics…
:-) it is not for your home, but if you have to install a system in a big store or warehouse in a shopping centre, you must have a flat response (or shaped to what you need) and high spl. If you open up a let's say BOSE ceiling speaker (not a fan of this brand but respecting) you will see that there is quite some technology inside like proper tuned enclosures and x-overs and things. Those things can take some power, you can be shure. Or there's a brand called Apart which produces really good tools for installations like amps, linemixers and speakers. Not in the scene, not shiny advertising but those products just work and sound very open and clean. They would go as HiEnd anytime in a blind test:-) Here again proper P.A. stuff can do as good as home stuff but will maybe work longer.
Old 12th February 2013, 05:45 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

mmmhhh
(dinosaur Jr )

Racing cars are not made for lasting but for ultimate performance
Old 12th February 2013, 05:52 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

It depends how long the race goes. The usual car is made to last some years and then be thrown away. Not that they couldn't make it last 20 years..
Old 12th February 2013, 06:07 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

I mean those 20000 rpm formula1, those are racing cars.
The tires to get the grip are changed many times during the race.
Etc etc. The differences that justify the engagement of those forces ( R&D)
are measurable then in tenths if not hundredths of seconds.
Old 12th February 2013, 06:19 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Actally all this crazyness was done to test new ideas and technologys. And of course to sell the brand that wins the race. My formula one are my speakersystems with expensive neo drives and sophisticated highrange units whith the lowest distortion possible at highest output with optimized x-overs. They go loud (just because I have to send music and speach to large crowds) and reproduce on high fidelity because my customer pays to get the best possible sound. And they last long because the speakers are driven in theyr safe area. A close contact to our manufacturers of chassis (which sit in Italia) helps us because they know what we are doing with tehy'r speakers.
Old 26th April 2013, 07:58 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

i want to build a studio monitor similar to 4Pi speakers (2226h, http://www.pispeakers.com/Products.html) / Summas (15tbx100, Summa). what 15" woofer should I use?
Old 26th April 2013, 08:03 PM   #118
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

2way with 15" ? .... one with short Xmax ?

15PR400 could be one I would consider
old model and relatively cheap
but 5mm P-P Xmax aint much
depends on your amplification

http://www.faitalpro.com/products/fi...atasheet_8.pdf

and btw, they have a new interesting tweeter

but if you can afford it, the new HF146 looks real cool

Old 26th April 2013, 08:13 PM   #119
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Faital Pro are the new kids in the block but make incredibly good speakers.
Old 26th April 2013, 09:12 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Would be interesting to know why you are atracted to that concept and what you are expecting from it.

Hide this!Advertise here!