Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2011, 11:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Peavey PA system set up

Hello, i have just bought a Peavey PA system. It has been so long since i did all this that even the cables i don't recognise. Could someone please tell me where all the cables go. I have 2 x Messenger Pro 12 mk 11(4ohm) 2 x subwoofer bass bins Prosub mk 11(4ohm) Amplifier - PV 1500 and a Passive PA mixer PV14 USB 14 channel.I really don't have a clue. Reading the manual means nothing either - Stereo or Bridge? Crossover? From mixer to speakers or amp? Please Help
Old 18th October 2011, 12:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Pics of all the inputs and outputs would help, though it's likely you will run XLR in stereo from the desk to the amps, set the amp to stereo, and from there run to the speakers. It's likely that the bins have a crossover built in, so you would run speaker cables from the amp to the bass bins, then link the top boxes to the bins. But post some pics to confirm.
Old 18th October 2011, 03:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, PV1500 should have either dual binding-banana jacks and 1/4 phones, or nutrix. Nutrix is the pro speaker cable connector that can't be pulled out by tripping over it (shorting the output transistors). PV1500 should be two channel. Some mixers have a power amp output, look for that. In that case the broad range speakers go to the mixer and the sub goes to the PV1500, possibly bridged. You can download peavey owner manuals from their website, click service info, click owners manuals. I find the alphabatized complete list more sensible, because their search has varying nomenclature for the components and it is hard to guess the right one.
Some 5 channel amp setups use separate amps for tweeter & woofer, and a fifth one for the subwoofer. It doesn't sound as if you have enough amp channels to use the separate hi-lo inputs on the speakers.
You have to watch the peak voltage ratings or the watt ratings on the speakers vs the amps. A PV1500 will blow most any speaker you can carry without a forklift.
Old 18th October 2011, 04:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

*scratching my head*
Old 18th October 2011, 04:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You want to run the mixer in mono (pan everything to one side or the other), go to one channel of the amp and set it for 'xover'. Then patch from the the 'xover output' to the input of the other channel. The bass bins connect to the xover channel, and the Messengers to the other.

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literat...s/00513020.pdf

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literat...26pvseries.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!