Good brand for compression drivers (i.e. high Q/P ratio)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to Everyone ! :)

I am very interested in knowing better compression drivers
So I am here to study :D
I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some indications about manufacturers with decent products and good prices.
I already know Pyle
Moreover I would like to know which parameter I have to look for in the datasheets to evaluate the quality of a driver.:confused:
I am more interested in tweeter, i.e. drivers with 1,5-2" diaphragms
Is it true that the diaphragms can be replaced ??? :eek:
So a compression driver is practically everlasting ???

Thank you so much indeed
Kind regards,:D
gino

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some indications about manufacturers with decent products and good prices.
I already know Pyle

B&C, EV, JBL, Ciare, Paudio... :)

Moreover I would like to know which parameter I have to look for in the datasheets to evaluate the quality of a driver.:confused:

Frequency response and distortion, (if available). TS parameters really don't tell you that much with CDs.

I am more interested in tweeter, i.e. drivers with 1,5-2" diaphragms

Those are getting to midrange territory, most people who use CDs for top end look at 1" diaphrams first.

Is it true that the diaphragms can be replaced ??? :eek:
So a compression driver is practically everlasting ???

Yes but they usually cost about half the price of the driver. :)

Thank you so much indeed

No problem. :)

B&C, EV, JBL, Ciare, Paudio... :)
thank you very much indeed for your reply !
but I understand that the famous brands you mention are top quality and consequently much more expensive than Pyle I am afraid

Frequency response and distortion, (if available).
TS parameters really don't tell you that much with CDs.

message received.
In your opinion the very best drivers on the market are also champions on this two parameters of freq response and distortion ?

Those are getting to midrange territory, most people who use CDs for top end look at 1" diaphrams first.
Yes but they usually cost about half the price of the driver. :)
No problem. :)

Actually I am looking for something able to cover the 1 to 15 kHz range
I have a weird idea in mind.
I would like to take the opportunity to explain a little.
In Italy there is a very high end manufacturer, this is the site

English Version

looking at his only speaker the dome drivers seem compression drivers used backward
I have friends who listened to this speaker and are telling me that it is exceptional
So my weird idea is to make something similar
But I would like to stick with just two ways even if this will cause a reduction of reproduced bandwidth (50 to 15.000 Hz will suffice)

Thank you so much indeed
Kind regards,
gino

Last edited:
If you can slightly alter your plans and find a good mid that will go up to about 2.2K, then for the price you can't beat the B&C DE10, a cracking little driver for the money.
Thank you for your kind suggestion
Actually I see a very good response curve
At this stage, I have just started asking for suggestion, I can alter pretty much everything :D
I know that the midrange is the more critical range
I have not decided yet for a cone or a dome midrange driver.
I would like to go with just two ways but I understand the huge difficulties in this approach with only to drivers that must cover the all spectrum
There are commercial speakers doing this but usually they come very very expensive
Thank you very much again
Kind regards,
gino

Hello Gino,
I would recommend you the new Beyma CD10ND, it sound amazing.

But as I understand you want to pick a compression driver and take the back off, expose the diaphragm and bolt it on a LQS wave-guide ? (That is not going to work, because you are loosing the compression chamber!)

Than I would look for a titanium dome driver like Audax TW025A20.

Last edited:
If you can slightly alter your plans and find a good mid that will go up to about 2.2K, then for the price you can't beat the B&C DE10, a cracking little driver for the money.
Thank you for your kind suggestion
Actually I see a very good response curve
At this stage, I have just started asking for suggestion, I can alter pretty much everything :D
I know that the midrange is the more critical range
I have not decided yet for a cone or a dome midrange driver.
I would like to go with just two ways but I understand the huge difficulties in this approach with only to drivers that must cover the all spectrum
There are commercial speakers doing this but usually they come very very expensive
Thank you very much again
Kind regards,
gino

If you've got the money, the B&C DCM50 should be an awesome midrange. You'll need a really big horn to go with it though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.