Outdoor PA -- What type of Speakers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I help out at the local hospital radio.

They have a converted ambulance which is used at events to promote the radio station.

A problem I have noticed is a lack of projection.
The PA is loud enough close to but it cannot really be heard more than a few tens of yards away, certainly not at 100yds.

The speakers used are what I would call "disco-type" Carlsboro with a 15" bass bin.

Any suggestions on how to get a bit more projection without too much harshness ??

I would go with some Torbosound tse111 or something similar....it contains 10''mid + 1'' driver. All horn.....very loud and efficient. You can find some of those in the UK. And place them high. Subs are ok to be placed low....
I don't know how many meters is yard but for an example 2 such speakers per side will be still clear and loud enough at least 50m away.....it depends what do you expect. Only for speach and some music it will work. For live band you need much more than that....
Regards, Taj

:)
IMG_2189.JPG

For some ideas, and only ideas, you can look at Bill Fitzmaurice's site, he has some purpose built DIY PA horns, made from wood, with available drivers. You can build similar
designs using other drivers and still get good results.

I am NOT saying to buy build or follow his design advice just look and see some ideas. There are alternative designs that are likely better for ur application... you need to look at size, weight, price vs. output and performance... and of course more boxes = better coverage and more output...

In your case, I'd separate the HF section from the midbass/bass sections... and for what you are doing multiple smaller bass sections are better than single large bass boxes... although it is possible to section a folded bass horn into smaller boxes and then clip/clamp them together after they are positioned and set up... makes for an easier move and lifting, better packing in the vehicle.

Consider making a small tower that raises up on air pressure using heavy wall PVC water or drain pipe... that way you could put the upper mids/highs on a lift that will raise them up something on the order of 16-20ft above ground...

Of course a lot depends on your skill level and the actual needs for the situation... if you come up with a modular solution for speakers, you can start with a marginal number, and add slowly over time...

_-_-bear

An Oldie But Goodie

To build, perhaps clone the Altec 816A cabinet http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/images/816A.1.jpg ? (If it will fit.) The bass sounds tighter to me than the A7 Voice of the Theatre yet it's quite a bit smaller. Load the box(es) with the 15" drivers that you already have and listen. I know they love being stuffed with Gauss mid-1970's drivers but I don't recall which one.

Top each 816A clone with an HF horn (treat the back of the HF horn with Dynamat or whatever the UK equivalent may be) and power with the cleanest Amp you can get your hands on that can run off of 12V. I'd start with a well-broken-in Tripath class T chip amp for testing. Then ramp-up the power with a beefier car audio amp that doesn't sound too much worse.

best,

john

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.