OMG, Such a Noob I have become... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2011, 01:48 AM   #11
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've probably missed something here, but when you designed these cabinets I assume you measured the TS parameters of the woofers used and used that to design your cabs?
Old 18th September 2011, 01:59 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

for the Deltas yes. for the subs, not so much. no one can seem to find the T/s params for them. so iv got two pairs of different 15inch PA drivers, 2 subs, 2full range, and also 2x10inch woofers, all without T/s params.

the 15s are all about 250-300wrms and all 8ohm, but thats all i can tell you about them. i could probably go as far as measuring a resonant frequency but that would involve cutting open my sub cab as when i put them in, i was only prepared to remove them if i were to destroy the cab as it was just a trial thing, never meant to be permanant.
Old 18th September 2011, 02:05 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

the stupid thing about the sub unit, is it sounds massive standing on end in a corner, its almost like it just needs the horn path lengthened to make it sound good, also works if i lean it up to a wall.

in open air on the ground, it just seems to disappear unless ur sitting in it..
Old 18th September 2011, 02:21 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Actually I love to listen to my music through any type of system, though there is a special place for horns with me. About 20 percent of my sub boxs are horns the rest base reflex. I don't own a 5 ton truck so its easier for me to move my single and double 18's.
Because of reduced horn mouth areas you normally have to use more units so they couple and reproduce the lower frequencies. With a br optimally tuned they already play lower, but they're not as efficient.
I personally would love to have a bunch of 12" horn loaded enclosures that could be easy to pack and caryy and modular so I could scale to the size of venue/ crowd.

Last edited by Top Shelf; 18th September 2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 18th September 2011, 02:34 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
I personally would love to have a bunch of 12" horn loaded enclosures that could be easy to pack and caryy and modular so I could scale to the size of venue/ crowd.
so can i read into that as you saying to go ahead with the single sheet Jbell horns and to keep building them till i have enough sound?
Old 18th September 2011, 02:34 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
the stupid thing about the sub unit, is it sounds massive standing on end in a corner, its almost like it just needs the horn path lengthened to make it sound good, also works if i lean it up to a wall.

in open air on the ground, it just seems to disappear unless ur sitting in it..
Try moving back away from the sub 30/40 feet.
Old 18th September 2011, 02:36 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
so can i read into that as you saying to go ahead with the single sheet Jbell horns and to keep building them till i have enough sound?
Yes definetly they are a great design for 37 hz and up.
Old 18th September 2011, 09:24 PM   #18
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

imo judging from a living room perspective a single B&C 15TRX40 in a reflex just flaps in the wind compared to a 15" size Karlson-coupler loaded with 15" or 18" woofer/coax - its not always the graph Lf extension that's important. Due to mobility factors my horn experience is very limited and just to what's laying around (Klipschorn, Edgarhorn Monolith & hypex 100, EV-Sentry, FH1, front load 50Hz horn with JBL 12, Yorkville UCS1) 37Hz is great extension for Jbell's little TH. Which page of that huge tread has the best drawing and cut sheet? - I might have a friend build one and do a comparison to K15

Last edited by freddi; 18th September 2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 19th September 2011, 12:48 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
Which page of that huge tread has the best drawing and cut sheet?
post #39 has the cut sheet.

thanks for your input too, im in love with the sound of a bass horn. absolutely.

i have decided (from chatting with Jbell himself) that i will build (to start with) a pair of his SS15 cabs and just throw in a pair of my drivers until i can afford a pair of KappaPro 15lf2's.

if they surpass my expectations, of course more will follow! if theyre as small and light as they look, ill be able to build 6 before they equal my single sub for bulk+weight. and well n truly out perform it tenfold.

i could build a standard rectangle box and mount my 15s in that. but then when i can afford to replace the drivers with the kappas then id have to build the horns anyway..

so in a way, by building the cabs first, ill be killing two birds with one stone. kinda.... id rather build the good ones first.

Hide this!Advertise here!