Help with Behringer CX2310 crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a newbie to this forum and also to the world of audio equipments. So, any help on this is greatly appreciated.

I'm a DJ and now I'm trying to put together my own sound system. I've my mixing deck, 2 power amps and matching subs & tops for left and right. Now, I need to plug in a crossover to feed in my 2 amps with low and mid/high frequencies. I'm thinking of buying Beringher CX2310 crossover, which is affordable to me.

Before I buy that, I looked at its manual to check its configuration and how it cab be connected with my equipments. I'm bit confused now, as far as I know, crossover should have 2 main inputs from my mixer for left and right. And, there should be 4 outputs for left and right of low and mid/high amps. But, I cannot figure how that can be configures with this crossover.

Am I thinking wrong, or is it done in a different way. If anyone has any experience with CX2310, please explain me how this equipment can be setup for suit my requirement.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I've got XLR connections on my mixer. But I'm not quite clear about the wiring side of things.

In CX2310 manual (http://www.behringer.com/assets/CX2310_P0132_M_EN.pdf), where it describes stereo 2-way operation, it highlights only one input connector and one set of high/low output connectors. That's where I'm getting bit confused. Is it a mistake in the document?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It has 2 inputs and four outputs +sub if you use it as a 2 -way. Switch it to 3-way and now you have 1 input (#6) and 3 outputs (1,2,3 + sub)
If you are running stereo, you'll get 4 outputs and sub. High & Low Left -- High & Low Right + 1 sub.

Pretty easy.

Thanks again. I've got a one more question. In a stereo 2-way system, how would I set the high/low crossover frequency. Does that depend on the specifications of my subs and tops. If so, what should I look in those. Otherwise, is there a general set of rules or settings that I can follow?

Hello...
I am new to this site and find it very informing.
I have a question pertaining to connecting 2 subs to the Behringer CX2310.
As stated the crossover has one channel out for the sub.
If using 2 subs, one for each side if the stage, do I connect one sub to the other sub when bi-amping the power amp?
Or...should I make up a lo Z Y cord coming from the crossover sub out to both A and B input sides of the amp and use it in stereo mode with 2 speaker cords from the amp to the subs..Or is there another way that they should be connected?
I have the Behringer EP2000 power amp for the subs which are 2 Peavey 118's (400W ea.)
This is for live music.
Link to Behringer EP2000

BEHRINGER: EP2000

As you can see, the manual is pretty limited in this set-up.
The Behringer speakers shown in the manual have the speakon connectors...
My speakers have 2-1/4" TS connections each and have ordered the speakon to 1/4" TS speaker cords...

Thanks in advance...Steve

Hello...
I am new to this site and find it very informing.
I have a question pertaining to connecting 2 subs to the Behringer CX2310.
As stated the crossover has one channel out for the sub.
If using 2 subs, one for each side if the stage, do I connect one sub to the other sub when bi-amping the power amp?
Or...should I make up a lo Z Y cord coming from the crossover sub out to both A and B input sides of the amp and use it in stereo mode with 2 speaker cords from the amp to the subs..Or is there another way that they should be connected?
I have the Behringer EP2000 power amp for the subs which are 2 Peavey 118's (400W ea.)
This is for live music.
Link to Behringer EP2000

BEHRINGER: EP2000

As you can see, the manual is pretty limited in this set-up.
The Behringer speakers shown in the manual have the speakon connectors...
My speakers have 2-1/4" TS connections each and have ordered the speakon to 1/4" TS speaker cords...

Thanks in advance...Steve

Well...Looks like I stumped everyone...Ohms is my concern...

Hello...

No Y cord is needed - the amp should be able to run "parallel mono" (the EP1500/2500 could - see the little DIP switches on the back of the amp). Dont "bridge mono" with a low end PV sub unless you like reconing.

Put both subs together. You pick up 3dB more output compared to splitting them, and the bass should be more even around the room.

No Y cord is needed - the amp should be able to run "parallel mono" (the EP1500/2500 could - see the little DIP switches on the back of the amp). Dont "bridge mono" with a low end PV sub unless you like reconing.

Put both subs together. You pick up 3dB more output compared to splitting them, and the bass should be more even around the room.

Thank you for the reply,WG_SKY...
So...There is a reason for one sub connection!
I have always wondered why!!!
So this explains it...Sub frequencies are omnidirectional but when you split them up with 2 cabinets you're defeating the efficiency by around 3db's...
Is there a way to improve the efficiency when they are split up on either side of a stage like in a professional stage concert?
There is usually 2 stacks, left stage and right stage...a group of horns on top...followed by the mid cabs , lo cabs, and on bottom are the sub cabs on each side of the stacks...
OR! am I missing something like maybe the subs are grouped together at the center bottom under the stage!
I do know that a home theater set-up always has one sub and the rest are right and left except for the center channel speaker...
I am putting together a new PA system for our band and want to get the most out of it...
Thanks...

Is there a way to improve the efficiency when they are split up on either side of a stage like in a professional stage concert?
There is usually 2 stacks, left stage and right stage...a group of horns on top...followed by the mid cabs , lo cabs, and on bottom are the sub cabs on each side of the stacks...
OR! am I missing something like maybe the subs are grouped together at the center bottom under the stage!

If they know what they're doing, they won't be split up. Or, it might be that the sound guys aren't the ones with the last word in how it gets set up, and they have to live with something that's not optimum. They can throw a quarter million watts at the problem - you probably can't.

And what looks like 'subs' may just be the bass bins down to 80-100 Hz or so, with the subs out of view.

ewww the B word.

dbx crossovers are the way to go for budget no nonsense crossovers. and you get a lot better unit than those b things that last a couple of seasons. The power amp that you have made by them is a QSC copy that performs like the rmx series, its ok and other than the usual suspect of bad power interconnects, it should last you awhile.

If you want a step above that, look at the EV DX38.

ewww the B word.

dbx crossovers are the way to go for budget no nonsense crossovers. and you get a lot better unit than those b things that last a couple of seasons. The power amp that you have made by them is a QSC copy that performs like the rmx series, its ok and other than the usual suspect of bad power interconnects, it should last you awhile.

If you want a step above that, look at the EV DX38.

Thanks for your information but your comments are too late!
I have Behringer products and have used them in the past and present and still going strong...and plan on using them now...
DBX and QSC are way over priced for my budget...

OK! So I was wrong about some of the Behringer products! Live and learn! Reviews are a good asset in choosing products!
I will try to sell the CX 2310 or use it for a boat anchor! LOL!
Let me change horses in the middle of the stream!
I will buy the DBX 223XL or the 234XL crossover, that is if these are the right choices....
I still have the Behringer EP2000 power amp which is new and will just use that for monitors.
Looking at the QSC amps...Pretty high priced but I guess you get what you pay for!
As I stated above I have used Behringer products in the past...
I have the BX3000T bass head which has been good to me for 6 years now and is a real thumper!
I also have an Ampeg B4R bass head which beats the crap out of the Behringer...
Also a small Behringer MX 802A mixer which I use for the drum mikes into 2 line outs.
It is clean and noise free... With a mixer with more channels I could eliminate that...
I have an old Alesis 1622 16 channel mixer, 8 XLR's which I picked up on ebay but is noisy and scratchy...Pots and sliders are worn out useless!
So am looking for a mixer also...24 to 32 channels...
So the Behringer mixer reviews are not so good either...I was told to avoid them...
I checked out the Mackie SR24.4's and SR32.4's and the reviews are fair...
This leaves me with one more I have found which is the Allen & Heath XED 22 and 24...
Is their another mixer that is clean and quiet with a good reputation?
I really want to do this only one time without having to replace faulty components.
I am not new to mixing sound but I am old school by using just an old Peavey 12 powered mixer, 2 mains and 3-4 wedge monitors...Spliting the amp mains on A and monitors on B
I just want to do it right the first time!!! ( or, should I say second time)
I am a drummer but play bass also...
Thank you...

cool, The only fore see able problem with the ep2000 is on the transformer molex connector degrades over time because it is not rated for that kind of current. A buddie of mine fixed a bunch of them by soldering the transformer directly to the pc board. If you didn't get one that he already changed, you might want to solder that connection.

allen and heath xed are ok but be nice to them as they are a little flimsy and don't handle being put in a rack that gets thrown around.

I use the presonus 16.4.2 on my small pa. clean board the gain stucture is set up correctly inside. most places can monitor without even hooking up a monitor eq!

and it records too :p

cool, The only fore see able problem with the ep2000 is on the transformer molex connector degrades over time because it is not rated for that kind of current. A buddie of mine fixed a bunch of them by soldering the transformer directly to the pc board. If you didn't get one that he already changed, you might want to solder that connection.

allen and heath xed are ok but be nice to them as they are a little flimsy and don't handle being put in a rack that gets thrown around.

I use the presonus 16.4.2 on my small pa. clean board the gain stucture is set up correctly inside. most places can monitor without even hooking up a monitor eq!

and it records too :p

Oh yes! Presonus I checked those out and they have great reviews...
On the Behringer amp...Are the leads from the transformer a plug-in type?
I will open it up and check...
Just purchased a DBX 266 XL compressor for my drums...
May purchase another for vocals and run it through an effects loop.
I will know more about setting everything up once I have a good mixer.
I have decided to not use an active crossover because the Peaveys have the built in passive and don't want to void the warranty by removing them...
I'm thinking I could run the subs off one buss and mains off the sum or whatever the mixer is setup for.
I have a set of Cad mikes for the drums and also using a Roland TD7 module with triggers on the kick and toms.
OK...Now, back to the search for a mixer! Thanks Dave's Not Here...

Oh yes! Presonus I checked those out and they have great reviews...
On the Behringer amp...Are the leads from the transformer a plug-in type?
I will open it up and check...
Just purchased a DBX 266 XL compressor for my drums...
May purchase another for vocals and run it through an effects loop.
I will know more about setting everything up once I have a good mixer.
I have decided to not use an active crossover because the Peaveys have the built in passive and don't want to void the warranty by removing them...
I'm thinking I could run the subs off one buss and mains off the sum or whatever the mixer is setup for.
I have a set of Cad mikes for the drums and also using a Roland TD7 module with triggers on the kick and toms.
OK...Now, back to the search for a mixer! Thanks Dave's Not Here...

I would like to add that I am looking for an analog mixer for our live bar room/ night club gigs...The Presonus is simular to the Yamaha 01V I had several years ago...If we do any recording I just use my Roland VS1680...Great for demos and such...

Help

Hi Guys,I am new on here,kinda have a similar issue and I am hoping that you could help me here.I want to add a crossover to my system,which consist of 2,2 way mains boxes, 2 sub-woofers and 2 amps. My question is since they are 2 way boxes with one signal input,is it possible to use a 2 way crossover because all the ones I have looked at are suggesting separate signals for low,mid and highs.

Thanks
EddieL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.