EV X8 crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My floor monitors have a EVML 15" Series I, crossing over with a EV X8, 200 watt, 8ohm crossover to a Peavey 22XT driver. What is the power breakdown? How many watts are going to the 15" and how many watts are going to the tweeter? I have some EV DH1506 drivers to replace the Peavey drivers. The Peavey drivers get blown once in a while and the 1506 drivers have a recommended crossover point of 800hz which is lower than the 22 xt 1200hz. Problem is the 1506 drivers are rated at 30 watts program and the 22xt at 40 watts. The Peavey diaphragms are fairly cheap $40 but the 1507 diaphragms are $112. Again, How many watts are going to the 15" and how many watts are going to the tweeter?

Not even Peavey documents what compenents are in the crossovers of their speakers. If you are lucky you can open the speakers up and read values off them. If you are not lucky, the parts will have part numbers only on them. Knee point of one capacitor RC network, 2pi*f= sqrt(1/R*C) f frequency in hz, r in ohms, c in farads; If my 40 year old education hasn't expired. Not sure about the square root.

Last edited:
The power going into each driver depends on the frequency content of the program material, and the relative efficiency of the two drivers. Generally the diaphragm horn driver will be higher efficiency than the cone, so will be padded down to give a flattish frequency response, but in theory, if they were the same sensitivity a single frequency scream could feed the amp's entire output through the HF driver.

And tweeters burn out for different reasons; actually cooking the voice coil through too high a continuous power, mechanical damage to the diaphragm (normally due to unwanted frequencies not being attenuated fast enough by the cross over, harmonics too high for the coil to move at (usually generated by amp clipping; overdriving a lower powered amplifier destroys more tweeters than using over powered amplifiers). occasionally RF instability.

Just changing the driver without some way of measuring the frequency response could leave you fighting a major bump in the highs with your monitor equalisers; something to be avoided if at all possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.