simple box design for stage monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to make some fast and dirt speakers for using as stage monitors (children/church theater, popular dance, etc).
I would like to use some 5" car drivers (2 ways, 4 Ohm, 60 W peak, plastic cones with coaxial tweeter) that I have around. Brand could be i.e. Sonavox S605 (Fiat Uno stuff!) or similar cheap stuff .They will be driven by some 50W SS ampli.Sound quality is not really important, since they will not be heard by the public , covered by the PA system. Any rough idea of recommendend size (at least the volume) of the box?
I think to use 15 mm plywood for robustness. I would like to make them ported, for more efficiency. In such case also the size of the port/length of pipe would be needed. Again, I do not need precision stuff, only to a rough idea, since I do not have any.
Thanks in advance to everybody
effebi

Attachments

• driverFiat.jpg
    driverFiat.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 264
Ciao Effebì
:)
Where are these monitors going to be positioned ? On the floor ( like prismatic /triangular ones ) ?!
I would choose something more robust ,as I'm experiencing the benefits of high efficiency speakers >>94 dB . They might be much $$$ more than cheap car speakers ,but if you decide to turn up loud ,they'll follow you .
What about a B&C DE-5 or DE-7 with a horn , and a Beyma studio 8" ??
Crossed at 2-2.5 K

Ciao Effebì
:)
Where are these monitors going to be positioned ? On the floor ( like prismatic /triangular ones ) ?!
Yes, basically they will be THROWN on the floor (and sometimses even kicked, believe me). Stage is about 8 x 4 m.
I won't go loud, never.They must be dirt cheap and robust , that's all. So no $$$ drivers...
What about a 9 L box of about 16x28 (front panel) x 20 (deep) cm? Port about 30mm dia (common for plastic pipes).
Thanks
effebi

Try...and do the report
If you could get 4 of those ( and put in a prismatic /triangular box ,with woofers tilted ...) and strip off the [tw]s , so put a couple of them in series + a tweeter (with a waveguide ) ,and go for 1 st order filter ...
Yes, i was going for a tilted configuration, too.
Nobody has some guidelines about volume/port dimensions?
Thanks
effebi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.