Some hints for a 1kW PA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like some hints for a design that I have to start in the near future.
I am not asking that somebody else is designing for me, just to get some open minded ideas from competent people.
So the design constraints are : load is 2 Ohm at best, maybe al little worse.
Power supply is already there, 65-0-65 V. This should account for ab 1 kW r.m.s. on 2 Ohm. THD I am tolerant, 0.1% would suffice. Band pass is important from the extreme low (ideally DC) to 10kHz .
But I would like to concentrate on the output stage, at the moment.
So would MOSFETs bring any advantage? I know by sure that with 10 pairs BJT (TO3s) it can be done , but also I know that thermal runaways are a problem.
Would it be good to go for class H with a such low rails?
The input and VAS I would prefer IC, also do you have hints for a really rugged one, that can take care of some kind of SOA protection as well?.
Any constructive suggestion will be very appreciate.
Thanks in advance to all
effebi

Last edited:
The view on BJT or MOSFET is split from what I have seen on here.
Personally I get on well with MOSFETs. So long as you use a Vbe multiplier they are usually fine. If your arent sure go for lateral MOSFETs as they arent so fussy about thermal runaway.

I dont usually bother with protection for a home amp but I do have a DC offset trap using a PIC micro on my disco amp. I suppose it depends what the chances are of shorting the output during normal use.

Power supply±35V 1000W/2Ω
Power supply±50V 1000W/4Ω
Power supply±70V 1000W/8Ω
I have problems to understood your extra - short comments, sorry.
If you mean as a simple amp, you are calculating more than double the power you can obtain with such rails. If you mean bridged, you must consider that the load seen by a bridged ampli is half than the actual load. I do not belive that is good to go so low as under 1 Ohm, unless you have tried so already with your beautiful amp.
Anyway I am bound to stick with 65-0-65 rails.
thanks
effebi

With that kind of power and current consumption, perhaps a class D amp working in class G operation to form an envelope to a linear amp would be the most efficient way to produce a low distortion arc welder, er, rather 1KW @ 2R.:cheeky: It just seems like a lot of extra heat to waste in using a totally linear amp for 1KW output power.:scratch:

With that kind of power and current consumption, perhaps a class D amp working in class G operation to form an envelope to a linear amp would be the most efficient way to produce a low distortion arc welder, er, rather 1KW @ 2R.:cheeky: It just seems like a lot of extra heat to waste in using a totally linear amp for 1KW output power.:scratch:
I agree completely. Unfortunately I never did a class D stuff. I will study that, I hope it should not be too different from some PWM drive.
Do you really belive that it is possible to reach 0.1 % THD that way? At a first look a class H seems to me more reassuring.
Thank you.
effebi

CBS240 offering classG with classD as envelope and the amplifier is linear. :scratch1:
Like this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/179475-its-only-need-50v-45v-outputs.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...-hybrid-linear-switching-power-amplifier.html

Isn't it better to use 2x500W? or at least start with lower power first.
The links you posted are very interesting.
What you mean 2 x 500 W? bridge? Parallel?
A i said, I do need 1kW on 2R, 65-0-65 rails.
I am not afraid about hi-power, in other fields i was designing multi kW devices.

Kombo_HQQF_1250WattB.png

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.