ideas for PA subwoofer amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
INFO : I am building a large PA system to be used for DJ and EDM music... the mids and highs are all taken care of (biamped Peavey SP4 and SP2 speakers)... my mains power section consists of 16 RAMSA 9220 amps driving each 15" driver separately... I have several 4-way DSP's also made by RAMSA...

GOAL: I also have 8 Peavey SP-FH hornloaded 18" subs that I am looking to purchase some amplification for - they take 800 wrms / 1600 wprg / 3200 wmax - so I was thinking an amp that puts out 1200-1400 watts or so at 8 ohms - either per channel, or bridged... Have been online for several days, researching the currently available models - looks like everyone is switching to the lightweight Class D amps... so my first question is regarding "traditional turrodial" vs "switch-mode" power supplies for subwoofer duty - any opinions?

As far as the specific models, I am trying to stay on the amplifier budget of around $3-500 per each subwoofer... so, if I can get a 2-channel amp that can do 8-ohm stereo with my power requirements, it can be twice as expensive ($600-1000)...

So far, I've had a few options I've been kicking around... still considering MA5050 and EP4000 as cheap possibilities, but I would hate to purchase cheap amps with chinese parts, for not much less $ than their better-known competitors...

IPR6000 comes out in March, I can wait till then, will be $650 - if it's worth it, they are too new to know... there's always CS4080hz, but it's pushing expensive... XTi2000 is down to $450, but I heard they don't measure well at low frequencies... XLS2000 is about the same price, but how does it compare to XTi and what is different???

there are some good deals on Crown XS500 and Crest CC5500 or CC1800 - any opinions about XS or CC series??? Also, someone just suggested Carvin DCM 1504L - being an A/B class it's starting to look kinda good...

any other ideas, comments, suggestions, words of advice? any specific brand or models? should I find some solid used "A/B" amps (weight is not an issue), or should I go for the new "H" or "D" class technologies? I need something that performs well at low frequencies specifically... thanks in advance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.