Car Audio Speakers for PA application.... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2011, 05:00 PM   #11
CCU is offline CCU  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to CCU
Car subs can be used for tapped horns. because of the high x-max. stable cone and high power handling. But for everything else you should use real PA drivers.
Old 22nd January 2011, 01:56 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nandababaji
Hi again Paul, there's no free lunch, using 8 drivers gives an efficiency gain of 9dB, you will also gain more than this at mid frequencies because the reduced horizontal and vertical dispersion results in more forward radiation, until baffle step comes into play. Another 9dB more power handling results in more than 18dB extra output in total, assuming you use a large enough amp. So eight 50w 93dB efficient drivers will produce 128dB in a box of around 50-80 litres. If your were to use 8 of the Eminence Delta Pro 8A driven by a 2000 watt amp then you would be looking at a around 140dB in an 80L vented box! You will pay a price here though in reduced efficiency below say 200hz because of the very low qts. of the Eminence drivers in a sealed box -tending to send a little "thin" A better choice in my opinion is a higher qts. 6-61/2" driver, having 0.35-0.5 qts. even if apparently slightly less efficient, sounding warmer in the lower mids. Coupled with tapped horns for bass a very nice system would result. Actually the original reason I built mine was that I liked the single driver sound, no crossover in the middle octaves, using a sub and super tweeter as an afterthought.
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:25 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Nails,

Are we talking cheap or expensive car speakers?

What frequency range are we talking? You mentioned a 2x12.

Are you thinking of making a line array?
Old 22nd January 2011, 03:08 PM   #14
Nails is offline Nails  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriwena View Post
Nails,

Are we talking cheap or expensive car speakers?

What frequency range are we talking? You mentioned a 2x12.

Are you thinking of making a line array?

Yeah Keri....Probably do a proto-type arrangement first up with some el-cheapos just to see how they turn out.
I have the bottom end cabs pretty much covered 30 - 600Hz...the tops 2kHz - 20kHz.....so I need something to fill the gap 300 - 3kHz so to say..
which will be run through an electronic cross-over..
I,am wanting to get away from the standard 2 x 12" PA set up and try something a little different..
A line array would be nice but I think I will opt for two single cabinets with 8 drivers in each just for convenience purposes...Cheers

Nails
Old 22nd January 2011, 03:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

How about just a single pro audio 8" or 10" in a proper horn loaded box? I suspect you'll get just as much output, be more reliable in a gigging situation, probably cheaper, and much, much lighter when you have to put it all back in the van at 3AM.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 22nd January 2011, 08:09 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I mentioned an array as a reminder that unless you put all the drivers in a vertical line, you won't realise the high frequency dispersion promised by a smaller cone diameter. At which point, you may as well use larger drivers.

Also, keep in mind that the +3dB increase provided by "mutual coupling" does not apply fully to the speakers on the edge of the array . That is, if you have a 3x3 array, only the driver in the center will be +3dB louder. As Bill Fitzpatrick once said, "This is just a baffle step discussion in disguise."
Old 22nd January 2011, 11:00 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriwena View Post
Chris, mostly I agree with you, but you seem to be offering a free lunch here. If you apply 1 watt to a box with 8 speakers, how much power does each speaker get?

Ummm... Interesting point.

You get +6dB for doubling of speakers. Twice the power input (so they see 1w each), and twice the cone area.
Give each speaker 0.5w and you only get 3dB gain on a single driver.

So in the example I gave, each speaker would see 1/8 of a watt.
Old 22nd January 2011, 11:06 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

This is essentially what the Eminence LAB drivers are.
Old 23rd January 2011, 08:34 AM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Eckhardt View Post
This is essentially what the Eminence LAB drivers are.

???
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!