newbie requests PA speaker repair advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2011, 02:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default newbie requests PA speaker repair advice

it's a dj-tech stage visa 200 140W (music power?) portable PA:

DJ Tech 140 Watt Portable PA System with MP3 Playback Free Delivery : Portable PA : Maplin

the drivers are 2x 8 ohm 6.5" coaxials with dual inputs coming from external crossover boards, and the problem is that the HF part of one of the speakers is kaput. i've swapped drivers between speakers and have ascertained that the driver is at fault (and not the crossover).

how to fix it? thoughts so far:

- source a replacement coaxial speaker. however 8 ohm ones seem to be pretty rare beasts. most i have seen are 4 ohm car audio jobs.
- by-pass the crossover and install a full-range 6.5" driver in place of the dud one. how much quality would i lose by doing this?
- leave the dud driver in place, drill a hole in the speaker faceplate and screw-in and wire-up a separate 8 ohm tweeter to take over the HF. would this work?

any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA and happy new year.
Old 6th January 2011, 02:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default a solution.

to anybody who might have a similar problem and finds this thread one day, i bought the following tweeter on ebay for 10:

Castle Compact Series Tweeter / Super Tweeter Replacement

Specification

Frequency Response 3kHz-40kHz.

Nominal Impedance - 8 ohms.

Power rating - 50 Watts.

Sensitivity - 89 dB for 1 watt at 1 metre.

Driver Type - 19mm, low modulus polyamide dome tweeter with neodymium magnet.

it came with the same crimp connectors as the HF part of my original driver so i just wired it in to those and bob's your uncle.

for the moment, until i see whether it's going to last, and as it's light in weight, i have it just sitting in the porthole on the speaker front panel held loosely in place by the mesh guard. in doing this i am obstructing the porthole somewhat which i hope isn't impacting too badly on the bass response. the HF however now sounds great. i'll probably drill it its own mounting hole in the faceplate at some point.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!