Which band do you think has best live PA? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2010, 06:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which band do you think has best live PA?

I'm referring to the sound system and PA at concerts. Loudest, cleanest, most dynamic sound you have ever heard at a live show.

My vote goes to Manowar. Joey Demaio the bassist personally tests the PA before every gig with his SPL/spectrum analyzer. The passing mark is 126.5dB at the FOH soundboard. He once threatened to cancel a show (Magic Circle Festival 1) because the PA didn't have enough headroom and the PA company was just using compression and limiters to scrape by.

This ensures they can 'blow your head off in crystal clear high fidelity'.

Hope to hear others' experience!
Old 8th December 2010, 12:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I only know of one major band that owns their own PA so I guess by default it must be theirs unless there is one I do not know about. That would be Iron Maiden. It isn't all that good though.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a bone to pick about sound levels though. A dB is not a level. It is a measure of gain. Therefore dB does not mean ANYTHING without a reference. A dBm is one dB over a miliwatt and a dBrn is one dB over a femtowatt. But a dB does not mean anything at all without a reference. Therefore 126.5 dB is not a level and does not actually exist. You can have a 126.5 dB gain but it has to be over some sound level. If not it would have to be understood that the reference is 0 watts so therefore any amount of gain would still be zero watts.

Not to mention that even if a dB were a level that level would be different every foot farther you moved away from the source.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

A dBrn may be a dB over a nano watt. It is one or the other anyway. I can't remember for sure.
Old 8th December 2010, 01:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was pretty impressed by the quality of sound at a Rolling Stones Bridges to Babylon show a number of years ago in St. Louis. SPLs high enough to rock but not hurt your ears, clear and articulate even in the nosebleed seats. I have limited experience with shows of stadium size however.
Old 8th December 2010, 01:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckerwood View Post
I have a bone to pick about sound levels though. A dB is not a level. It is a measure of gain. blah blah blah, ad nauseum.
Lighten up, already. When someone is talking about dB SPL, which is clearly the case here, it is reasonable to assume that they mean dB re 20 μPa.
Old 8th December 2010, 01:30 AM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ditto what Jacques says.
Old 8th December 2010, 01:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ok, apologies if i was not more specific on the dB SPL etc..

I just think that there is a trend to skimp on live sound PA hardware and just use compression to make up for 'loudness' similar to what is happening on the Loudness War on the studio front.

Maiden has pretty good sound too.

Any other bands? How's Metallica? Recently the band has been playing with minimal backlines on stage, in severe contrast with Manowar's massive backlines.
Old 8th December 2010, 07:20 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhapsodee View Post
How's Metallica? Recently the band has been playing with minimal backlines on stage, in severe contrast with Manowar's massive backlines.

If by backlines you mean those huge stacks of Marshalls I can assure you that the vast majority of those are dummies with no amps or drivers in them.
Back in the '80s I found myself backstage on a number of metal bands (work related, it's not my type of music), all had huge numbers of Marshall stacks onstage but almost all used a single Mesa Boogie head hidden offstage and only one 4x12 Marshall cab per instrument had any drivers in them.
Old 8th December 2010, 08:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I saw Laurie Anderson at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa (great acoustics) around 1990 and she had one of the largest pair of PA speakers (stacks) I have ever seen arranged like a pair of stereo speakes -one at each end of the stage. The sound was VERY loud and if it had not been crystal clear it would have been unbearable but it was absolutely the cleanest, loudest show I have ever seen or heard.

Hide this!Advertise here!