Tube mixer - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2012, 06:45 AM   #191
diyAudio Member

Ian,
which reverb/echo system did you employ in your mixers ?
Do you have some suggestions?

Antonio e Francesco
Old 19th January 2012, 11:57 AM   #192
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Tucci View Post
Ian,
which reverb/echo system did you employ in your mixers ?
Do you have some suggestions?

Antonio e Francesco
I would say that Lexicon is probably the most well respected manufacturer of outboard reverb. They have a range of products from the budget priced MX200 up to very expensive professional units like their PCM96 that are popular in studios today.

Cheers

Ian
Old 26th January 2012, 09:30 AM   #193
diyAudio Member

Dear Ian,
I have discussed with Francesco about mixer requirements and it seems that it remains to add some sections …before organize the layout of the PCBs. In particular, it is necessary to include

1) An output (driving 30 mt of cables) for monitors
2) A mic amplifier for the monitor mic (through which the technician of the mixer can talk to musicians).
3) A headphone output
4) Vu meters for the 4 output stages
5) Output recording.

As to point 1, 2, and 3 we think that high audio quality is not necessary in these sections, so a single chip solution could be the best.

1) As to the first one (monitor outputs), we have thought to THAT IC, a nice single chip solution for the balanced line driver THAT Corporation 1606/1646 OutSmarts Balanced Line Driver ICs
- What do you think about it ? Have you other solutions?
- Could we directly connect the 4 outputs of TL082 to 4 THAT 1646 ICs (without capacitors) ?

2) As to monitor mic we think that a single chip solution for both should be the best.
- Do you suggest a particular chip?
- How to connect the output of chip with the four monitor channels ? Is a 22K R enough for a distribution of the signal ? … or we have to put a R to ground for each channel too?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|--22K -> monitor 1 (to R35)
Chip---->------ |--22K -> monitor 2 (to R36)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|--22K -> monitor 3 (to R37)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|--22K -> monitor 4 (to R38)

3) As to headphone output we think that a single chip solution for both should be the best.
- Have you some suggestion for it ?
- Are correct the connection reported in the schematic?

4) For the master fader we think that a great display Vu meters are necessary.
- Which Vu meters do you suggest? Led type or analog type?

5) As to output rec, Francesco requires a high quality. So a tube stage is mandatory.
- Could a 6DJ8 SRPP (with a capacitor output) work properly?
- Is the connection reported in the schematic correct?

We are a little worried about the last connections (for phone e rec) in the output stages … We think that they could modify the load of output stages.

Ciao

Antonio e Francesco
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Preamplifier stage.pdf (54.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf Vumeter + Rec + Phone.pdf (39.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Antonio Tucci; 26th January 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:50 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Tucci View Post
Dear Ian,
I have discussed with Francesco about mixer requirements and it seems that it remains to add some sections …before organize the layout of the PCBs. In particular, it is necessary to include

1) An output (driving 30 mt of cables) for monitors
2) A mic amplifier for the monitor mic (through which the technician of the mixer can talk to musicians).
3) A headphone output
4) Vu meters for the 4 output stages
5) Output recording.

As to point 1, 2, and 3 we think that high audio quality is not necessary in these sections, so a single chip solution could be the best.

1) As to the first one (monitor outputs), we have thought to THAT IC, a nice single chip solution for the balanced line driver THAT Corporation 1606/1646 OutSmarts Balanced Line Driver ICs
- What do you think about it ? Have you other solutions?
- Could we directly connect the 4 outputs of TL082 to 4 THAT 1646 ICs (without capacitors) ?
I am sorry I cannot help you with this question. I am not familiar with this device but looking at its data sheet I think it should be able to drive the 30mt cable OK.

Quote:
2) As to monitor mic we think that a single chip solution for both should be the best.
- Do you suggest a particular chip?
- How to connect the output of chip with the four monitor channels ? Is a 22K R enough for a distribution of the signal ? … or we have to put a R to ground for each channel too?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|--22K -> monitor 1 (to R35)
Chip---->------ |--22K -> monitor 2 (to R36)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|--22K -> monitor 3 (to R37)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|--22K -> monitor 4 (to R38)
Again, sorry I cannot help with this question - I have no experience of chips of this type. I do not understand your diagram showing how the mic is to be connected. VCan you explain please?

Quote:
3) As to headphone output we think that a single chip solution for both should be the best.
- Have you some suggestion for it ?
- Are correct the connection reported in the schematic?
Sorry, once again this is not my area of expertise.

Quote:
4) For the master fader we think that a great display Vu meters are necessary.
- Which Vu meters do you suggest? Led type or analog type?
I think this is a personal preference. I like analogue meters but that is just my preference because it reminds me of the good old days.

Quote:
5) As to output rec, Francesco requires a high quality. So a tube stage is mandatory.
- Could a 6DJ8 SRPP (with a capacitor output) work properly?
- Is the connection reported in the schematic correct?

We are a little worried about the last connections (for phone e rec) in the output stages … We think that they could modify the load of output stages.
A 6DJ8 SRPP should be OK for this.

At present you have a very simple fixed sub-mix fro the phones and rec outputs. It might be better to have separate faders for bass, vocal and instrument so you can balance their relative levels for recording. It would then be normal practice for the headphones to be switchable to each individual output or the the stereo rec output.

Cheers

Ian

Hide this!Advertise here!