Anyone using a PA amp in their home system? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2010, 11:30 PM   #1
gil1 is offline gil1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone using a PA amp in their home system?

I have noticed many are using PA or PRO amps for their sub woofers, how about as a full stereo amp?
Old 31st October 2010, 09:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

you may benefit from the "few first watts in class A" from your pro amp if this one is a class AB amp ( Cause if its class H,G, T or D i dont think that it can be compaired in quality even with the most simple amplifier that is presented in the forum and that will be the DX amplifier from destroyer X )

then you have to live with tha blowers of your proamp

and then again you have to basically understand the diference of HIGH END amps and PRO amps ....

there is no diference ...!!! schematic wise are absolutely the same .... or based on the exact same idea the only things done diferent is : level of power /protection methods /quality of built /complexity

start removing most if not all potection methods from a pro amplifier that will be level limmiter VI limmiters bandwidth limmiters and you will end up with an almost high end amp with no protection at all risky ???? that is for you to answer

most pro amps are designed with first target of power then its quality then is safety then is cost then is watt/kg and so on

in high end amps is the totally oposite

and to my very simplified opinion ...
all class AB should sound absoloutelly the same if based more or less on the same circuit and the only thing that vary is the quality of built ....this is very simplified since a million of small details can make sound better or worst but the truth is that the diference lays beyond the above , to the balance beween safety and quality that a manufacturer will make ....

kind regards sakis
Old 31st October 2010, 10:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm using all pro amps for my 4way actives: MC2 Audio MC750, MC450, T500 and an Omniphonics Footprint (aka BeyerDynamic Blueprint).
The three MC2 amps are not just pro amps but also the best sounding amps I have come across regardless of cost or intended application.
According to MC2s designers Terry Clarke and Ian McCarthy they have been designed first and foremost for SQ and then made road-proof. I have found no reason to doubt them and the fans are surprisingly quiet. Used to have a QSC (JBL) amp at some time and I think 20 MC2 amps with fans running would be quieter than that one.
The reason I use the Omniphonics is that MC2s smallest amp produces 175w, a bit of overkill to drive a ribbon supertweet which takes 4w rms and I got it s/h for 20 incl. p+p.
Old 31st October 2010, 11:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

my point exactly ... do you actually know what is the upper limmit for bandwidth for the amplifier that you use for your tweeters ??? i havent seen many of these comercial pro amps to have a usable bandwidth above 20khz .... now days in high end amplifiers bandwidth is blown to the moon ...at least ... seen things that working up to 200khz for fun ....( not that i usable in human hearing but if they still like to make it like this why not ???)
Old 31st October 2010, 11:45 AM   #5
gil1 is offline gil1  United States
diyAudio Member

Reason for asking is that I just came across a Yamaha P2500 and dont know what class amp it is ( A, B, D, or H) but in any case it is a great sounding amp, the bass is fast and strong not boomy but the mids and highs are a bit loud, I was able to attenuate mids and highs with an equalizer and it is just a super sounding amp, Im very happy with it.

Now, I was wondering if manufacturers make these amps with a flat bandwidth or if they over emphasize a certain portion like the mids since they are geared more towards club/DJ use?
Old 31st October 2010, 11:50 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

SoundOnSound tested it and it starts to roll of gently above 80kHz.
Old 31st October 2010, 12:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil1 View Post
Reason for asking is that I just came across a Yamaha P2500 and dont know what class amp it is ( A, B, D, or H) but in any case it is a great sounding amp, the bass is fast and strong not boomy but the mids and highs are a bit loud, I was able to attenuate mids and highs with an equalizer and it is just a super sounding amp, Im very happy with it.

Now, I was wondering if manufacturers make these amps with a flat bandwidth or if they over emphasize a certain portion like the mids since they are geared more towards club/DJ use?
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/downlo...tepaper_en.pdf
Old 31st October 2010, 12:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

yeap ...i will agree with the above ...P2500 is made like that ... a classic AB amplifier switable for home listening "free" enough for hifi use , first few watts is in class A like all class Ab amps ( even though bias is quiet low and could be boosted a bit for home use and add to that a bit of temperature more ) and yes ...its made with quite good quality parts and yes ...again has protection methods that are not enough for this range of power resulting a reputation about these amps that are rowbust quality amps but will not forgive mistakes

good thing is that the protection methods will never kick in to the signal at hifi home use ( low power) but still exist in the signal path

i would say yes ... regarding this pro audio amp !!!

kind regards sakis
Old 31st October 2010, 01:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The beauty of MC2 MC series amps is that none of the protection circuitry is ever in the signal path. Even if the limiters kick in they merely roll off the supply rail voltage until things cool down a bit. Phoned their customer service once which connected me directly to Ian McCarthy. He assured me that in typical home use they are extremely unlikely to ever leave class a operation.
Down side is that they cost four times as much as the above mentioned Yamaha.
But then I bought mine s/h for 100 (T500) and 350 (MC450 and MC750) rather than 1000, 1500 and 1700 respectively.
I love ebay…

That said I like Yamaha amps, very good value for money and extremely good when comparing to equally powerful 'audiophile' amps!
Old 31st October 2010, 01:27 PM   #10
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil1 View Post

I believe the Yammies are a variant of class H, with a class AB lower tier and an upper tier that is class D. Response is flat as a pancake. If you're getting coloration, the amp may be showing flaws in your speakers.

Some of the cheaper pro amps roll off the extreme low bass below 20 (so they can use undersized reservoir caps) or the highs above 20k (for stability). Like the QSC RMX and GX, Behringer stuff, and the XTi1000. The next tier up tend to be flat at least 10-50k.

Hide this!Advertise here!