Anyone using a PA amp in their home system? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2012, 08:03 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Simple high quality pa amp using transistor
Old 29th September 2015, 08:15 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

I'm very late to the party, but wanted to mention, in case anybody ever reads this thread again, that, at present, my favourite full-range amp for my Tannoy System 215 DMT II speakers is the MC2 Audio S1400 (775/1400/1650 Wpc @ 8/4/2 ohms). The S1400 and its little brother, the S800, MC2 makes specifically for monitoring and mastering applications, not for sound reinforcement. They're the only two current MC2 models that use linear power supplies—all the sound reinforcement models now use switching power supplies.

But, apart from any technical details, I prefer the S1400 (around $3500) to the Bryston 7B SST2 monoblocks ($10K/pr.), the Perreaux Model 750 monoblocks ($15K/pr.), the McCormack DNA-500 ($6K?), and the MC2 MC750, among others.

So far, I can only hear the fans when I'm changing a record or CD, never from the listening position, unlike the MC750, which has louder fans.

The S1400 somehow manages just the right balance of gut-wrenching power, especially in the lower frequencies, with clarity and delicacy. It's also curious that while the amp uses a humungous 4 kVA transformer, it's also got the smallest amount of power supply capacitance (16,500 uF/ch) I've encountered in any amplifier. Weird, yes, but I'm letting my ears rule on this one.
Old 20th October 2015, 04:09 PM   #53
Hdonly is offline Hdonly  United States
diyAudio Member

I am using a QSC1400 with a pair of Yamaha 4115's that have been modified to three-way with all new drivers. Compression horns in mid and high frequency. Working on a tube pre-amp to get my Garrard turntable back in the picture. Sounds good to me.
Old 24th February 2016, 06:56 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Behringer inukes for years. Cheap. Powerful. Quiet if fan is changed or disconnected 😁

Sent from my pc1162 using Tapatalk
Old 25th February 2016, 08:43 AM   #55
noelm is offline noelm  United States
diyAudio Member

45 year old industrial 100 watt RCA SA-1000 tube monoblock amps with one pair of KT90 series 1 tubes in pentode mode replacing the original 6550s. They power Acoustat 1+1 electrostatic speakers with ease. More musical combination than I originally expected.
Old 25th February 2016, 11:19 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

QSC USA850 on my Behringer B2031P monitors. Big old class-AB with a heavy transformer and lots of output transistors. Fed straight from a laptop.
Got myself an EP1500 with a silent fan that I'll use for subs when space allows - I miss <40Hz.

Chris
Old 25th February 2016, 12:02 PM   #57
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I use a heavy old Crest pro amp down the cave. It's the 7001, I think. Rated 550 WPC, tho it seems to do about 650-700 WPC just fine. I have it dialed back to 120 WPC, so as to not fry any more drivers.
Old 26th February 2016, 11:12 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

QSC ISA300Ti drives my speakers easily in the summer and winter has a pair of Allen Model 75's helping to warm my basement.
Old 26th February 2016, 07:23 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

I have about 13 or 14 Soundcraftsmen PR1800 or 900X2 (same thing after acquisition by MTX). These were designed as a DJ amp. Switching power supply but a conventional MOSFET audio section. Balanced & unbalanced ins. Stereo or bridged outputs. That's about 25,200 watts. Note these are NOT their earlier class H power supplies. The "switching" mode supply is not high-frequency, it's "phase control regulation" of the input 60hz.

I have extremely inefficient speakers, what can I say... 16 12" drivers as isobaric subs, and 2 18" JBLs in very large sealed boxes. 12' Newform ribbons (3 stacked tall narrow planar dynamics for each channel). 12 scan-speak 6.5" drivers in sealed boxes.

I usually used to tri-amp in the living room, using 5 amplifiers for subs, 3 for the Scan-speak mids, and 3 for the Newform. That leaves me with plenty of spares LOL. The problem is power. In my old house I ran 220v. to a breaker box in the kitchen and ran the speaker wires to there. In my earlier house I had the amps in the garage, with wires running thru the wall. Now I'm renting and don't have anything at all set up until I buy another house LOL!

Last edited by cyclecamper; 26th February 2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 26th February 2016, 07:29 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

I own quite a bit of mobile disco equipment.
The amplifiers I designed and built myself.
I have numerous speakers (all Fane).
I have a few sealed boxes and a few folded horn speakers.
My living room look more like a stage with speakers and amps everywhere ( no wife to complain !)

Hide this!Advertise here!