Anyone using a PA amp in their home system? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 27th March 2012, 09:03 PM   #51
diyAudio Member
Simple high quality pa amp using transistor
Old 29th September 2015, 09:15 PM   #52
diyAudio Member
I'm very late to the party, but wanted to mention, in case anybody ever reads this thread again, that, at present, my favourite full-range amp for my Tannoy System 215 DMT II speakers is the MC2 Audio S1400 (775/1400/1650 Wpc @ 8/4/2 ohms). The S1400 and its little brother, the S800, MC2 makes specifically for monitoring and mastering applications, not for sound reinforcement. They're the only two current MC2 models that use linear power supplies—all the sound reinforcement models now use switching power supplies.

But, apart from any technical details, I prefer the S1400 (around $3500) to the Bryston 7B SST2 monoblocks ($10K/pr.), the Perreaux Model 750 monoblocks ($15K/pr.), the McCormack DNA-500 ($6K?), and the MC2 MC750, among others.

So far, I can only hear the fans when I'm changing a record or CD, never from the listening position, unlike the MC750, which has louder fans.

The S1400 somehow manages just the right balance of gut-wrenching power, especially in the lower frequencies, with clarity and delicacy. It's also curious that while the amp uses a humungous 4 kVA transformer, it's also got the smallest amount of power supply capacitance (16,500 uF/ch) I've encountered in any amplifier. Weird, yes, but I'm letting my ears rule on this one.
Old 20th October 2015, 05:09 PM   #53
Hdonly is offline Hdonly  United States
diyAudio Member
I am using a QSC1400 with a pair of Yamaha 4115's that have been modified to three-way with all new drivers. Compression horns in mid and high frequency. Working on a tube pre-amp to get my Garrard turntable back in the picture. Sounds good to me.

Hide this!Advertise here!