Anyone using a PA amp in their home system? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2011, 11:22 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The golden mean View Post
Hard to say which amp you prefer until you test it in your application and you canīt possibly test them all. To me, -who dispate my age, is listening a lot to rythmical music like reggae there is a clear difference in just how amps can be more or less adapt or "thrilling" in delivering the goods-maybe the core or intention of the music.

So if I consider a PA amp for my subs, I may or may not lose the qualities I now enjoy so highly. Building an amp without any reference to how it performs in my system is much of a chance. Buying a PA amp and selling it if not satisfied with it is less risk I suppose. Thus I have considered amps like this DB TECHNOLOGIES HPA 1400 - Thomann UK Cyberstore

For the record I am triamping and have at least one expencive amp so Iīm now looking for a cheap one.
Wow, only 385 Euro for 440 watts per channel. These must be some kind of Class D or T amps, aren't they?
Old 7th November 2011, 01:20 AM   #32
Tajzmaj is offline Tajzmaj  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Some of ,,pro,, amps have really good sound.....are reliable and powerful....but most of them have very loud fans....For me that's not an option. For an example. I have 2 Crown MA1201 amps which have so da.. loud fans....and those fans are actually fans + motor transformers.....which supply low level circuits so can't be omitted....uh. On te other side there is a lot very good vintage amps which can be refurbish. Good example are Crown amps which Dirkwright mentioned. For those who wants even more of brute force some Phase Linear can be good choice....but it is dangerous amp.....very powerful and very easy to destroy...Cheap class D,T.....amps often sounds like sh.. in both pro and domestic use...
Regards
Old 7th November 2011, 09:09 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

A mate of mine swore on his Flame Linear amp… until he heard my MC2 Audio pa amp.
Since then I found out that the co-founder of E.A.R. was responsible for the sound and the founder and ex-technical director of Klark Teknik for reliability, unlike Flame Linear they do not have tendencies to incinerate themselves.
Power ranges from 175w/ch to over 2000w/ch, the fans are quiet and the SQ has been favourably compared to domestic amps costing over 10x as much.
Old 7th November 2011, 09:44 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

The need to acoustically isolate amps with fans in them, while keeping cables short for optimised damping and power transfer, is indeed contradictory, and also assumes that any PA will invariably be making enough noise to cover fans, which is not always the case. If I am reinforcing a choir or a string quartet I an not necessarily looking for 86 dB pianissimo, so having a vacuum cleaner running on the edge of stage is not always appreciated either.

PA amps are more robust (they have to be), designed to run for longer periods continuously, and modern ones can sound as good as their studio monitoring equivalents (with whom they frequently share a circuit) or HiFi amps (Not all of them do, obviously, so listen first).

And, watt for watt, they are generally cheaper than their domestic bretheren.

Often not pretty, and balanced inputs complicate matters for some users, no input selection, separate volume controls for each side rather tan one stereo control, thus requiring an outside preamp of some description unless you run in "calibrated" mode, if you need really high power (which to me translates as really inefficient loudspeakers, but could be a desire to reproduce the full dynamic range of a symphony orchestra; if you don't have neighbours, that is) they can be a very effective, cost-efficient solution.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:58 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The golden mean View Post

So if I consider a PA amp for my subs, I may or may not lose the qualities I now enjoy so highly. Buying a PA amp and selling it if not satisfied with it is less risk I suppose. Thus I have considered amps like this DB TECHNOLOGIES HPA 1400 - Thomann UK Cyberstore
For the record I am triamping and have at least one expencive amp so Iīm now looking for a cheap one.
The best sounding amp I've owned is the Peavey CS800s. I don't need the power, but love the price ($200) At the 1.4 Vpp I typically listen to it, the fan never runs. If it did, it fits under the couch anyway, it is 2" tall. I saw a new CS600s at the store before I bought the used one, it was $999, so catching a bar band breaking up and liquidating is a better deal. I bought the package for the SP2 speakers, but was surprised how good the amp is. I was too suspicious of direct coupled amps that blow speakers to use it for a year, but Sakis convinced me the protection circuit on this amp was properly engineered. Output relays, output current transformers, D/A conversion, a microprocessor current analyzer, a current protection phase at turn-on before the relays close, and a DC protection crowbar.
The CS800s has balanced and unbalanced inputs. I built cables for both ways, and hum is lowest unbalanced. Part of the reason it was $200, some guitar **** had plugged his guitar amp in the 1/4 phone in's and blown the 1/8 watt series resistors. Peavey has been around the block, resistors are cheaper than fuses. The hardest part was getting the correct input PCB schematic to figure out the cinders were resistors and not capacitors.

Last edited by indianajo; 7th November 2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 7th November 2011, 02:16 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Well, the only reason I got into these pro amps is because I wanted to use an electronic crossover for an active system, and almost all of those have XLR connectors and it so happens that I got lucky with my DAC since it has XLR outputs as well. So, I need a few low power amps that have XLR connectors. Trying to find something like that in the consumer hifi arena is next to impossible. As far as I can tell as well, there are very few electronic crossovers with RCA connectors on them in the consumer hifi area, so I'm forced to go to the pro side to get what I want. The good news is that very capable pro crossovers are not that expensive. So much of that consumer stuff is way over priced or it's just junk.
Old 7th November 2011, 03:23 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Wow, only 385 Euro for 440 watts per channel. These must be some kind of Class D or T amps, aren't they?

Indeed they are, Class HD if it makes sense, two tier supply lines. I have looked for a good pro amps for years, one that has no fans or at least were fans are not loud. Information about this is rather spare on the web and I find a lot of invalid information. MC2 audio turned up at an early stage but I didnīt find any used ones at a reasonable price. Australian Monitor seems interesting but one page claims they are out of business, I donīt know and importing from Austrailia is too difficult.

I get some information about the amp considered by me on the German version of Thomann site. It contains some user reports witch dosenīt appear on the Swedish or English version.

I use a VMPS electronic crossover(modded) for the subs.And a J.Rowland Synergy II preamp.

Here are three pro amps, two of them without any fan att all.

DB Technologies HPA 1400

Apart Champ-1

PAS 2002PCA - Thomann Cyberstore Sverige
Old 4th December 2011, 03:01 PM   #38
fperra is offline fperra  United States
diyAudio Member

Most people who use pro amps in the home swap out the fans with quieter units.
Old 4th December 2011, 08:14 PM   #39
Lavcat is offline Lavcat  United States
diyAudio Member

Current production Crown D series amps have no fans.
Old 4th December 2011, 08:40 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I designed Pyramids for pro usage, on stage. But all prototypes I built as far as I know ended at homes, driving magneplans.

I remember, on a meeting of management of one automotive giant with computer company, CEO asked, "If your computers are superior for our business, why don't you run your computers for your own manufacturing"?

So, if somebody manufactures and sells gear for thousands of listeners, why would not they use it at home for own listening pleasure?

But according to what I've seen and heard in Guitar Center, I doubt somebody would put own production in own listening room... Especially speakers...

Hide this!Advertise here!