"Converting" a stereo speaker to PA monitor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2010, 07:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default "Converting" a stereo speaker to PA monitor

Based on the title, you'd guess I was nuts, but hear me out.
Just picked up a couple of small Infinity SM-85s - they're in reasonable shape but the woofers need refoaming. They're pretty efficient little buggers (sensitivity around 98) and up to 125 watt power capacity. They have a tweeter and an 8" woofer in a little ported cab. The price was right. I'm mulling over the idea of refoaming the woofers, getting a more robust crossover from Parts Express, putting some corner protectors and a handle on them, and fabricating a new grille with some wire mesh or expanded metal - hopefully keeping the cost for all that to less than $80 for the pair. I'd also plan to put some tiltback legs on them. The current covering is the vinyl "faux wood" veneer, which should be fairly tough. I don't really need more stereo speakers, but could use some PA monitors. We never play at really high stage volume. Am I nuts, or does that sound like a reasonable plan?
Old 27th October 2010, 08:42 PM   #2
wjlamp is offline wjlamp  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racket Scientist View Post
Based on the title, you'd guess I was nuts, but hear me out.
Just picked up a couple of small Infinity SM-85s - they're in reasonable shape but the woofers need refoaming. They're pretty efficient little buggers (sensitivity around 98) and up to 125 watt power capacity. They have a tweeter and an 8" woofer in a little ported cab. The price was right. I'm mulling over the idea of refoaming the woofers, getting a more robust crossover from Parts Express, putting some corner protectors and a handle on them, and fabricating a new grille with some wire mesh or expanded metal - hopefully keeping the cost for all that to less than $80 for the pair. I'd also plan to put some tiltback legs on them. The current covering is the vinyl "faux wood" veneer, which should be fairly tough. I don't really need more stereo speakers, but could use some PA monitors. We never play at really high stage volume. Am I nuts, or does that sound like a reasonable plan?

You are.
But if you really use, limit up home sound levels,a pair(better,lots of spares) of suitable fuses,it might work.

B.L
Old 27th October 2010, 08:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The big issue is that PAs have to deal with really scary transients that HiFis never see. The suspension (the foam surround and the spider back near the voice coil) is far too compliant to deal with these transients. The results will be more sensitivity to low frequency feedback (very bad), a strong risk of actually damaging the suspension, and serious misalignment of the voice coil from such damage.

And we haven't even talked about the tweeters...

Bottom line? Bad idea.

About a month back I ended up buying a set of cheap powered monitors for my band to use with my small Mackie mixer as a PA. For under $400 new I got power, a five-band graphic EQ and decent volume. They even sound halfway decent.

Last edited by bunkie; 27th October 2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 28th October 2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

They might be useable as foldback/DJ monitors, but I don't think they'll hold up well for front of house.

Hide this!Advertise here!