DIY PA Speakers Setup (Line Aray) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2010, 09:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY PA Speakers Setup (Line Aray)

DIY PA Speakers for general purpose or Line Aray.

Dual 2X18inch Horn Reflex Sub (40-200Hz)
Three Way Full Range (80-20000Hz) 15inch bass horn + 2X8inch mid + 1inch HF driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APEX B218 sub.jpg (207.9 KB, 4907 views)
File Type: jpg APEX M212 sub.jpg (240.0 KB, 4508 views)
File Type: jpg APEX PA Setup.jpg (384.0 KB, 4342 views)

Last edited by apexaudio; 21st September 2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Banned

The bass horn looks like it will be a big cancellation mess from the back wave and the midbass 15 horn looks like it's an upper mid horn. Maybe you should look a little deeper.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueSound View Post
The bass horn looks like it will be a big cancellation mess from the back wave and the midbass 15 horn looks like it's an upper mid horn. Maybe you should look a little deeper.
Similar bass horn, and midbass horn you can find in many brand speakers: KV2, EV... and it's work, there is nothing realy new. Dynacord 'Cobra' is compact line aray speaker system, and this suggest DIY sistem can be compare with Dynacord, but useing more available speakers for many diyers.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't like half of them , I'm not gonna build 'em ! Better building big sealed CONCRETE boxes !! They're gonna rock ! Sure !!
I'm jocking..but ; if there isn't any improvement over the market speakers ,what is the
purpose of a DIYer ? Do you know if there is any difference by putting the top box horizontally or vertically ? I just came to know that an array source can offer a really wide and long soundstage but that after a looooong study and a perfected tecnique.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Suggested sub/sut x-over frequency is 150Hz, 24dB/oct.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
I don't like half of them , I'm not gonna build 'em ! Better building big sealed CONCRETE boxes !! They're gonna rock ! Sure !!
I'm jocking..but ; if there isn't any improvement over the market speakers ,what is the
purpose of a DIYer ? Do you know if there is any difference by putting the top box horizontally or vertically ? I just came to know that an array source can offer a really wide and long soundstage but that after a looooong study and a perfected tecnique.
You spoke like salesman (don't try to build line array it can't be made you must bay it), but diyer with some skills can make usefull 'line aray', and save lot of money. Diyers build two way speakers (15inch + HF) all the time, only for a few hours, and this is just next step.

Last edited by apexaudio; 21st September 2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 21st September 2010, 11:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

yes you're right :like a salesman !!
So ,PA means public address . Do you consider people cheap ?
Yes I'm thinking of building a high efficiency box with a 10" plus...maybe a 3/4"
and a horn,but that's supposed to be hi-fi.Difficult to beat my double 6,5" plus paper tweeter and waveguide ,total cost 100 .
I respect your knowledge in solid state circuits but when it comes to box construction the electronic engineer often fails . I'd follow TrueSound advice (yes ,he's mad !) to look deeper .
Rgds Tony
Old 21st September 2010, 11:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
yes you're right :like a salesman !!
So ,PA means public address . Do you consider people cheap ?
Yes I'm thinking of building a high efficiency box with a 10" plus...maybe a 3/4"
and a horn,but that's supposed to be hi-fi.Difficult to beat my double 6,5" plus paper tweeter and waveguide ,total cost 100 .
I respect your knowledge in solid state circuits but when it comes to box construction the electronic engineer often fails . I'd follow TrueSound advice (yes ,he's mad !) to look deeper .
Rgds Tony
Give some advice to this people
Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24735_383639849340_710299340_3650532_1620903_n.jpg (45.6 KB, 4109 views)
Old 21st September 2010, 11:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm not gonna build 'em !
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:15 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm not gonna build 'em !
You don't need 'em, but people who put 40 subs and 10 two way suts over need some advice and suggestions

Hide this!Advertise here!