Nightclub speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking about building my own speakers, these would be high power and used in a nightclub. I was thinking about using two B&C 15NW76 drivers for the lows, two B&C 10NW64 drivers for the mids, and a B&C DE250 mounted to a QSC 152i wave guide for the highs. I am figuring on porting the 15's and the 10's would be sealed. The layout of the drivers would be similar to this Speakerplans.com

My questions are as follows:

Would this combination of drivers work well together?
What would the box volume have to be for the lows?
Port dimensions for the lows?
Box volume for the mids?
What would be the calculated continuous SPL?

I know some of you guys have the fancy software that will tell you all this stuff based on the parameters of the drivers, unfortunately I don't have any software so your help would be much appreciated.

If anybody has better suggestions, please share. I want something with a lot of output and above average sound quality as far as PA goes.

Thanks, Shaun

(I didn't look at your system). Do you have the xover (main brain) for your system? Have any idea, or developing from scratch.:confused::cool:

You should have better drivers (not that it can't work, only more complex if possible because of B&C 10NW64) for the 2K region unless the "DE250 mounted to a QSC 152i wave guide" covers it with good integration. You should have tested setup or it will take you a long time. Look, for what to expect.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/166619-3-way-crossover-details.html

Last edited:
If anybody has better suggestions, please share. I want something with a lot of output and above average sound quality as far as PA goes.
Nobody's going to come up with an optimum design without interest in building these themselves, as there is considerable time, effort, and expertise involved in modeling them.

I suggest you build a known entity suited to your application.... :yes:

Last edited:
Hello.

I know the B&C 15NW76, good driver, well designed neoymium motor, well build... but it can't go low, only high spl, notice that real Xmax is only +/-4mm.

18sound are good drivers too, if you go with their kit, go for the neodymium, it's really lighter and roadies will appreciate. ;)

EDIT : to go in the way of Elmuth, ARTA is a really powerful software with a well wrote tutorial.

Thanks for the replies. Are there any other designs out there for high power speakers?
EconoWave Deluxe with subs, DE250 & 152i waveguide, 90° x 50° directivity.

EconoWave HP is on the drawing board and should be posted in ~60 days. It'll be rated for 600W, 95 db sensitivity, 123 dB max continuous SPL, 129 dB peak.

+/- 3 dB 42 Hz - 18 kHz, it'll probably want LF augmentation, also.... :)

Last edited:
I saw a design for something like what you're after.

Horn tweeter + 10" mid + 18" bass (I expect you could add more if you wanted). Crossover was 300Hz bass to mid and 3kHz mid to high. By doing something like that, you'd be able to use an actual subwoofer driver, rather than a mid-bass which won't be as suited.

That design was from some time ago, so it might not be relevant now.

A very nice 18" sub ideal for your application very nice price.

Mivoc awx184 150 euro 4Ohm!
speaker trade - mivoc - Einzelchassis - AWX 184
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

simulation 164liter 3 pipes 10 cm diameter and 24cm long 95dB/1wmtr. 30Hz -8dB.
awx184br.jpg

a you tube film. The best price 18"money can buy.
YouTube - 4 18s Mivoc AWX 184. Mega Bass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJn-FqV2rHE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06CGehi-Mzk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk_xII63xcc&NR=1
Another super 18" high qaulity subbase for hifi and professional audio. The best high qaulity I know price 450 euro you have subbase. 2X4Ohm!
MONACOR INTERNATIONAL:product detail page

I made a simulation.
-6dB at 30Hz! 94dB/1wmtr. 94dB because when the spl increases the cut of point also increases. When you want 98dB the cut off wil be around 60-70Hz. That is the dilemma.

134liter two BR pipe 10cm 30cm long.

sph450tcbasreflex.jpg

Last edited:
As a alternative for the B&C DE25. Has eminence the apt150 was tested by the german Klang und ton as very good a bargain horn driver. THD <2% at 100dB! So you can save on de HF horn and spend more on quality sub-bas.

SCAN0001-1.jpg

SCAN0002.jpg
Helmuth, the B&C DE250 was used for a long time by Wayne (Pi Speakers), that was compared to the PSD2002 for a long time, with diy xovers calculated and measured a million times in different configurations and many audio shows.:up:

the DE25 is good no doubt.

In the same article the from the atp150 also the DE250 was measured lower XO and flatter response.

With a good design the ATP-150 will do the job also with nice specs. That is the work of engineer to finish the job without paying to much. That is the challenge.

It depends witch mid driver you choose to match with the eminence. I think of the beyma 605 with phaseplug.

http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/605Nd.pdf

And two of these in one speaker. 98dB wmtr 35Hz -20kHz
517-APT150-xl.gif

Last edited:
We used to port the bass speakers to the floor, building a 9" to 12" high elevated dance floor area next to the main floor about 15 feet by 8 feet - just a plain platform, no floor lights, but it was a massive bass bin coupled to the 18" concrete floor. You could see the ports/speakers when you walked past it as 'holes' in the side of one part of the platform.

We got big sub harmonics off of that set up.

Mids and Highs were suspended, of course. We also had another stack that was on the floor like your plan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.