Positioning a PA speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The room is maybe twice the size of the average living room, with a raked ceiling. The speakers are metronomes and will be used mainly for background music.

I plan to hang the speakers against the rafters. I have the choice of locating them up in the corners of the room (on the rafters a little away from the walls and angled downward a little), or maybe bringing them a few feet forward away from the back walls.

My first thought are for the corners. My arguments are:

Upper midrange diffraction can be reduced by blending with the rear wall.
Baffle step diffraction can also be dispensed with.
Rear wall reflection will be eliminated.
Room mode coupling.

Some will say that moving out into the room a little can be a good thing.

Would it be in my case?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting question. If they are mainly for background music, i can't see why moving them out from the walls would be a big advantage. Using the corners for some bass gain would be the better trade off, IMO. You're not really looking for stereo imaging - at least not as a primary goal.

Don't the Metronomes use the floor to load the port at the bottom? Would you need to invert them for ceiling loading?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.