The old PA vs HI FI loudspeaker debate again.... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2010, 12:25 PM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Great story - thanks!
If you want it to sound real, get real speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Plank View Post
When I think "Public Adress" Images of crappy plastic moulded cabs with 100w drivers enter my head
Of course that's unfair, but I understand because there is so much of that out there. But it would be like you telling me "Hi-Fi speakers" and me thinking of cheap plastic satellite speakers and a powered sub.

FWIW, last year the Absolute Sound and a few other high end mags reviewed the big 2x15 Cerwin Vega speakers and really liked them - even on classical! How about that? Of course Cerwin Vega has discontinued that model....
Old 7th May 2010, 01:42 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Great story - thanks!
If you want it to sound real, get real speakers.

Of course that's unfair, but I understand because there is so much of that out there. But it would be like you telling me "Hi-Fi speakers" and me thinking of cheap plastic satellite speakers and a powered sub.

FWIW, last year the Absolute Sound and a few other high end mags reviewed the big 2x15 Cerwin Vega speakers and really liked them - even on classical! How about that? Of course Cerwin Vega has discontinued that model....
I'm impressed it took untill post #11 to get a negative response to PA
Old 7th May 2010, 02:11 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Well there are more crappy PA out there than good. Same can be said about "Hi-Fi" So no surprise there.

Most good speakers from both categories tend to share one property. Both are large.

The only small "High end" speaker that impressed me with how good it sounded regardless of volume (as long as you keep it below excursion limit and thermal) is Peak's Princess. (5" +1" dome)

The "regardless of volume" property is usually reserved to good designs using Pro drivers or very large speakers.
Old 7th May 2010, 02:22 PM   #14
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Plank View Post
I'm impressed it took untill post #11 to get a negative response to PA
Uh, I think that was a positive response. Pano is a PA kinda guy.
Old 7th May 2010, 02:46 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I do digital cinema instals mostly with the JBL 4675. They can sound real "hi-fi" with a little bit of EQ.

David
Old 7th May 2010, 02:54 PM   #16
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker dave View Post
I do digital cinema instals mostly with the JBL 4675. They can sound real "hi-fi" with a little bit of EQ.

David
Im just leaving Mississauga...I would have love to have a demo

could you explain what little bit of EQing is done? Im stuck finishing my Horn designs (QSC waveguide/BMS4550), I have them pretty well flat but I still have a "harder" sound from them compared to my ribbons (Neopro5i). I have the DCX so I can add "little bits of EQing".
Old 7th May 2010, 03:07 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Uh, I think that was a positive response. Pano is a PA kinda guy.
Sorry, I was having a super Thick moment...........

Last edited by Village Plank; 7th May 2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 7th May 2010, 03:48 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug20 View Post
Im just leaving Mississauga...I would have love to have a demo

could you explain what little bit of EQing is done?
These are cinemas so we tend to use a modified "X" curve approach. The amount of HF roll off is related to room size or number of seats. This will ideally make the direct sound fairly flat in spite of the reverberent field rolling off in the usual way. I do try to move the microphone nearer to the speaker, while being careful of the listening axis, to get a better feeling for what the direct sound is doing.

I have heard these in smaller rooms set up as hi-fi. In that case you need eq to compensate for the constant directivity horn rolloff and simple crossover network. They are very smooth with excellent polars, so they have potential to sound very good.

For a demo you'll have to go to China. That is where most of our recent installs are!

David
Old 7th May 2010, 11:23 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default PA or Big Box

The Hi-Fi industry has totally collapsed here in the middle. A few allegedly "hi-fi" brands exist in the big box retailer whose name you know. They showcase the speakers on a shelf 6 ' from another shelf 6' from another shelf ad infinitum with a 40' ceiling corrugated metal roof and an epoxy coated concrete floor. Whatever a speaker sounds like there, it is not going to sound like that in my home. Besides, these brands also sell cheesy computer speakers, and I know what those sound like. At the musician's resale shop, I find used PA gear (failed bar band leftovers) with a few hi-fi trade-ins in a 40x50' cinderblock room with a 10' suspended tile ceiling. I am allowed to move the gear to the corner to listen to it. This is beginning to resemble somthing like my 15-30' living-dining room with 10' suspended ceiling. When the selections include only quad 12' guitar speakers, I leave without a sound, but some PA horn+15" woofers showed up, and piqued my interest, since the bass is weak on my previous speakers and the sweet spot for the highs is only about 3' wide and 2' tall.(Not horn). I bought the Peavey SP-2 PA speakers based on performance on Serkin Beethoven Moonlight movementt 3 and ZZ Top Eliminator, for thumping bass. If anybody intends to sell me a single driver speaker or some other exotic technology they had better audition it for me somewhere closer than Detroit, and in a room different than the Big Box retailers.
Old 8th May 2010, 12:22 AM   #20
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Stereophile recently reviewed a couple of pa style horn speakers... The one from jbl was a woofer + horn mid + top horn... Very much PA. The other one was klipsch I believe.

They did like em a lot.

Hide this!Advertise here!