A Club Band PA system - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2010, 02:07 PM   #21
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Hey col,

I admire your DIY energy! That's a lot of work, and well done. Your system should pay for itself quickly. Careful not to hijack the thread here though, your system is not going to work for the purpose of this thread.

I agree with Xoc1, a decent digital crossover would do the work of a lot of the outboard gear you're using, and be more versatile. But you're right, it's a personal choice.

technofreak,

I'll play with some 8" drivers + 1x 1" compression driver and see how it looks on the computer. If it'll get the job done with cleaner audio, it's certainly worth considering.

Splaying is a difficult subject due to the variety of venue shapes. I would expect that in the majority of cases (based on my experience), ideal dispersion splaying would give way to just aiming cabinets where they are needed. The coverage area is quite often broken up into different target areas that need to be covered independently. That's the same trouble with using line arrays in clubs. I'll look more closely at horizontal coverage, but I think it would be best to match the horizontal coverage of the waveguides to the 6.5-8" driver coverage -- whatever that is.

..Todd

Last edited by taj; 26th April 2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 26th April 2010, 02:44 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

How about MTM with 10" mid and a radial horn. That would allow stacking side by side to increase desired horizontal coverage. Alternatively a bi-radial horn that can still be stacked with minimal interference/lobing.
Alternatively with 8" mid and a smaller angle to allow for more HF drivers for the same horizontal coverage allowing for higher SPL but also higher cost.

I guess synergy/unity horn is out of the question?

I doubt we can go completely diffraction-less and HOM-less and still keep up with SPL requirement so some sort of compromise have to be done.
Old 26th April 2010, 02:48 PM   #23
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Love the Dominators. Great on IEM's to protect ears. They can be EXTREMELY aggressive as the name suggests, so listen carefully when setting it up.
Old 26th April 2010, 03:13 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Back when i was looking at building my own PA speakers. I came up with this idea. its based on the Eighteen sound 6ND430 6" driver which has a very flat frequency response from 100hz to 3K and the 45 degree off axis response is even flatter! So I thought about using 4 of these drivers per cabinet at a 45 degree angle with a waveguide horn in the center with a lot of heavy fiberglass or rockwool around the horn in the middle. this would then have two 12" woofers top and bottom.

I was doing sound for an all girl jam band at the time and I wanted as clean of vocal reproduction as i could. I did not want to use a 15" woofer but figured two 12" drivers would mate better. and i was not looking to get max SPL's out of it as they wanted lower volume. these would be used with a 18" sub cab per side.

I still like the concept...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Concept.jpg (217.5 KB, 199 views)
Old 26th April 2010, 04:28 PM   #25
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That 3 way cabinet is similar to a l'acoustics V-DOSC that is used in a line array
The V-DOSC a ful range cab 2 X 15", 4 X 7", 2 x 1.4" Compression drivers.
The waveguide horns are recessed into the V of the 4 mid drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v-dosc.jpg (253.4 KB, 174 views)
Old 26th April 2010, 04:43 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

yup! but those are designed to lay down and have a narrow vertical pattern. I was hoping to use mine standing up with a narrow Horizontal pattern. and who knows, Maybe i had seen that V-Dosc array and that's where i got the idea from??
Old 26th April 2010, 05:11 PM   #27
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

I may be late to this thread, I only read first few posts...I made once small PA speakers for a music group at my work, basically bunch of quite good amateurs, playing just for fun, so here is the link, you may find it interesting
Ed Orvisky Audio Pages: PA speakers
the speakers are still in service and they work fine
they would not be anough for large concerts, but enough for small room
ed
Old 26th April 2010, 05:19 PM   #28
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

An interesting variation might be to take the mid-section of the V-Dosc cabinet as-is (without the 15" drivers) and stack 12" drivers above and below in MTM config. Like Zero Cool's but with the mid-section rotated 90 degr. for wider dispersion and a horn/waveguide to match that dispersion pattern.

I'll have to doodle that up.

One disadvantage I can see immediately is that the mid-highs will end up at shoulder/head height once stacked on the subs, which would not work well. Ideally, you'd want it higher than that -- over peoples' heads.

..Todd

Last edited by taj; 26th April 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 26th April 2010, 05:28 PM   #29
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Adason,

Its looks like it would work well for lighter duty work.

..Todd
Old 26th April 2010, 05:36 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to technofreak
A thread about cone driver dispersions and a simple empirical equation to find dispersion at specific frequency or frequency with specific dispersion: At what freq does a 10" do 90 degrees? - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

And a thread about disperion/lobing, a good graph few posts down: Horn dispersion arraying REALLY matter? HELP! - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

At the moment I'm developing a small freeparty system using 6" mids (as for now 1 Eminence Alpha 6, but eventually adding one or possibly two Fane 6-100 per side), small format horns (Celestion HF50, to be replaced by Eminence APT80), 8" low-mids (Fane Sovereign 8-225; 2 per side) and some 15" or 18" subs in the future. X-over shall be 120 Hz and 500 Hz active and 5,5 kHz passive. Small paper cone drivers in midrange sound just amazing, IMO, the real way to go; no usual muddiness, boominess and harsh break-ups of typical 12" and 15" PA speakers (there are exceptions, but they are expensive).

Hide this!Advertise here!