JBell PA Top - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2013, 09:01 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Are the HS12's better sounding than the EV's? How are the SS15's holding up against the B52 subs?
Old 3rd June 2013, 04:49 PM   #22
fhperez is offline fhperez  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
In all honesty, the EV's at 1500 watts each sound way better than hs12s, but then again these are ev's and are getting 1500 watts and sound clean loud and clear. I see now what people mean by beaming... at places it sounds like the bass disappears with the hs12s in the configuration above (2 per side) as where it is less noticeable with them stacked up up and down... something else to note is that they have two different waveguides... The B52s out power my 4 ss15's... I like the b52's over the ss15's... If anyone has experience with the b52's versus the TH18 or the Keyston Sub I would like to know if it's worth ordering such an expensive speaker and building two to test...
Old 19th June 2013, 01:19 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to audiocom
Sorry to note that you must close overture between outpeaker bord and 4" cutout, otherwise is an acustical short circuit. You have no front compression because wave goes short by direct connection between front and rear waves.Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12001.jpg (793.3 KB, 112 views)
Old 19th June 2013, 04:50 PM   #24
mfavata is offline mfavata  United States
diyAudio Member

Looking at the original plans on page 1 of this thread, you can see that Jbell does close off the outer edges of the speaker in the plans with scrap pieces of wood.

I am thinking of building these speakers for PA use for shows I do at local american legion halls for local bands. Probably 2 per side in about a 1000 sq ft room. This will be my first foray into speaker building. Has anyone built an HS12 with the piezo array like the 2x10 cabs Jbell built earlier? I really like the look and price point of the piezos vs a higher quality compression driver. I suppose they're cheap enough that I can try it out and change later, but I'd love to see if anyone else has done it first. Hoping to built these sometime in the next two weeks!
Old 19th June 2013, 06:27 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to audiocom
Haven't seen the small pieces of wood closing the overture. That's correct this way... About piezo vs CD, the diference in value pays by itself. Get a little more money and buy a good (doesn't mean expensive) driver. It's SO different...
Old 24th June 2013, 12:30 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but here goes. I'm planning out my build of 4 HS12s, and I'm wondering how it might work out to not put horns/waveguides on each of the cabinets, but to build two more small boxes with only the dayton waveguides in them to stack one on top of the two HS12s on each side. I figure I'll use the Dayton 12s in the HS12s, and the dayton waveguide and an 8 ohm D220Ti on each side. Then I'll be getting 109dB out of the horn, but will that overpower two HS12s stacked up?

I will be running an active crossover instead of a passive crossover, and I'll be using one Crest VS900 per side for the speakers. That will give me 450 watts at 4 ohms into the HS12s and 300 watts at 8 ohms into the Dayton. My main concern is getting the vocals to cut over the loud bands in a packed room.

My plans are to eventually build 4 SS15s to sit under these speakers, and run a whole JBell set up.

Thanks for any input you can offer. I'm very glad I found this forum. You're all very informative.
Old 27th June 2013, 02:39 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

HI Jbell or whoever might have this. I am looking for a cut sheet for the HS12 pa top. I will be building four of these. I hope some one has it.

Thanks in advance,

John
Old 13th July 2013, 12:41 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

So is there anyone that can answer my question? Would I be better off building a reflex box over these for my application? Say smaller rooms, 1000-1500 sq ft, with maybe 100-200 people? This is my first build, and I don't want to waste my time and have to build over. I'm reading that horn loaded mids don't sound good until you're a little further away, and people will be right up front near the speakers.
Old 27th July 2013, 12:26 AM   #29
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

nice design - bet my spare pair of 99dB Eminence coax would work "ok"
Old 10th September 2013, 10:03 AM   #30
Pabesco is offline Pabesco  Bahamas
diyAudio Member

Good day to all. I just built two of these and need a few questions answered please.
After taking measurements I notice there will be a one inch space behind the driver. Will this be ok or will the woofer over heat?
Secondly I will be using an active cross over that's in my amp rack. Wil Thisbe ok or will I have to use a passive crossover inside the boxes? If so what exactly should I purchase as crossover and where can I purchase from
Thanks and have a great evening.

Hide this!Advertise here!