JBell PA Top - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2013, 04:20 PM   #11
fhperez is offline fhperez  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
I've built 4 of these so far and I am really impressed... I am almost finished with my final 2 boxes, which will use the Dayton 12" and the eminence CD... will post pictures once it is completed...
Old 7th May 2013, 08:34 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
Here are the pictures of my 4 Builds...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=95c5b868a5

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 8th May 2013, 08:39 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

According to jbell's post: "Ports deep in the horn sound funky"
Those ports seem fairly deep in there. Did you experiment with port placement?

Also, have you experimented with compression driver horn placement? One of its purposes is to prevent beaming of the woofer by mounting it in the center. I notice on your 2nd (from the bottom) enclosure you've got it mounted on the top. Is this due to mounting difficulty in the middle? Or something else?
Old 8th May 2013, 01:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I just placed them in the center of the panels, I read that but I guess I didn't think they were deep in there..

The top ones sound like the bottom one, so yes I am still experimenting...

These things get loud in that configuration, I had an officer show up in my home while testing them because he heard them from my back yard all the way to the street... it was fairly warm so I am almost sure he had his windows up... Also the speakers were parallel to the street... (Not facing the back of the house)

I think they sound good as they are, of course the best sounding one is the one with the bigger waveguide...

can beaming be measured?

I am still trying to learn the REW software and what all those things mean.
Old 8th May 2013, 02:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhperez View Post
I just placed them in the center of the panels, I read that but I guess I didn't think they were deep in there..

can beaming be measured?

I am still trying to learn the REW software and what all those things mean.
Yeah, the ports are intended to be 2-3" from the front.

I assume beaming will show up as being heavy in some frequencies head-on and less so off axis.

REW gives me fits on my Mac (or I'm not doing it properly). Gonna give it a shot on the Windows machine soon.

On another note, I moved the horn & grill up to the very front, but the back on the back instead of inside, and there's still only 0.75" clearance at the woofer magnet. I wonder if the cabinet's depth measurement from jbell needs updating.
Old 8th May 2013, 02:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Beaming? It's only the directional curve at various frequencies.

For a small cabinet place it on a record player turntable, place a protractor on top and do a frequency response curve every five degreed or so. Then turn it on its side and do it all over again. While you're at it, change the pink noise generator for a fixed frequency oscillator, and do a series of polar curves like that.

For a big loudspeaker extend your protractor larger than the cabinet, find a railway shunting yard which shuts down at night, with a railway turntable…

Then repeat for two stacked cabinets, preferably with the mic at different heights.
Old 8th May 2013, 09:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESCENDO View Post
Yeah, the ports are intended to be 2-3" from the front.

I assume beaming will show up as being heavy in some frequencies head-on and less so off axis.

REW gives me fits on my Mac (or I'm not doing it properly). Gonna give it a shot on the Windows machine soon.

On another note, I moved the horn & grill up to the very front, but the back on the back instead of inside, and there's still only 0.75" clearance at the woofer magnet. I wonder if the cabinet's depth measurement from jbell needs updating.

I did what I could with the information found online...

Well I am using REW with a Hackintosh (Mountain Lion on an HP) and I am still learning REW... I've only used it one day...

Yes I found that out also, I moved it up .5" for my first build, my second two are completely different dimensions... But they still come out of one 1/2 sheet, keeping with the name... I moved the speaker baffle up and left made the 45 degrees about 1.5 or 2" smaller....
Old 9th May 2013, 04:21 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispenycate View Post
Beaming? It's only the directional curve at various frequencies.

For a small cabinet place it on a record player turntable, place a protractor on top and do a frequency response curve every five degreed or so. Then turn it on its side and do it all over again. While you're at it, change the pink noise generator for a fixed frequency oscillator, and do a series of polar curves like that.

For a big loudspeaker extend your protractor larger than the cabinet, find a railway shunting yard which shuts down at night, with a railway turntable…

Then repeat for two stacked cabinets, preferably with the mic at different heights.
I will try that...
Old 9th May 2013, 06:47 PM   #19
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
Sin Bin

Beaming is an ugly truth of Life, usually "cured" by not mentioning it or sweeping it under the rug ... which of course does not make it disappear.

Very few speaker systems have real wide and flat dispersion patterns.
Old 18th May 2013, 12:35 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hs12 in action... Sound really good... Ev's are not turned on just a backup...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (263.9 KB, 563 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!