Yamaha EMX88s problems help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there anybody who is familiar with the Yamaha EMX88s amp as i have a massive issue with this PA which has caused me nothing but grief due to partial clipping which lowers the sound for less than seconds.
I have tried a number of ways to get rid of this problem but it is still there. Even adjusting the EQ makes no difference to the clipping.
I di think that that the speakers i was using at one time were too powerful for the amp. I purchased a set of Berhringer B215 600watt 2 way speakers and today they both went down? I find it strange to find two speakers going down unless the amp is over powering them? The amp is 800watts but only when four speakers are connected to it. at the current time i am using two speaker cabs.

I am a solo performer and use professional backings together with guitar. The backings are put through the EMX as well as the vocals and at times my guitar which is ran into the amp via my POD 2.0.
The tracks will cause the clipping as well as at times the vocals. Today was the worst i had ever seen it. There was a problem with the right speaker like fluttering and then went off came back on then the sound went only leaving sound coming from the top of the cab but nothing from the speaker. I thought the amp was damaged. However on hooking up to another set of speakers there the amp was working fine and the speakers were found to be dead.
Any help please!! :mad:

Sounds like you are over driving the speakers. Speakers have a heat related clipping that sounds horrible and eventually the voice coil gets so hot that the coil wires are loosened, It sounds really bad and then quits completely. If you are using your guitar as one of the sources, you will be dumping the amps peak power into whatever cabs you have and if you are a metal head this situation could be continuous, rather than the occaisional peak the equipment is rated for.

You really need to get a local sound tech to help you out with drive levels and power levels.

Bud

Connecting powered speakers to an amp doesn't kill the amp. The input of a powered speakers is like 20 kOhm an so there is only very little power for the amp to deliver (less than 1 Watt)
It is more likely to blow up the input amplifier from the powered speaker by feeding it to high a voltage.

It is more likely to blow up the input amplifier from the powered speaker by feeding it to high a voltage.
It's guaranteed to blow up the input of the powered speaker in spectacular fashion.... which then shorts and takes out the power amp in the mixer.

And if that happened it's not something an end user can fix, a skilled technician may be able to find the fault but even then it may not be feasible to replace a component.. the whole amp module may have to be replaced.

who's thread is this room237 or Ravi999's?
Both, the original thread was created in '09 but I suspect that has been resolved one way or the other by now.

the other question is why are people running amplifier outputs into powered speaker inputs?
I blame powered mixers for this, they are the devil and should be wiped out of existence immediately. Non tech savvy people don't see the difference between powered and passive speakers and it's all too easy to stick a 1/4" speaker cable into the combo XLR/TRS input jack on a modern powered speaker.

It's guaranteed to blow up the input of the powered speaker in spectacular fashion.... which then shorts and takes out the power amp in the mixer.
Max input voltage is normally about 10V rms.
So I don't think it's going to be spectacular, there isn't alot of power flowing with an impedance of 10k or higher.
And even when the opmap shorts there is the resistor of 10 kOhm that sits before the opamp so the max power is 250 mWatt.

Speakon exist for 40 years so people who still uses 1/4 TRS for speakers are to blame not powered mixers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.