Need help identifying 10" PA Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so through an auction I ended up with almost 1000 older speakers of various sizes and age (some dating back to late 60's early 70's I do believe). The main thing I wanted was the 160 10" PA drivers that I got for making a super duper line array for cheap. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify what the 10" drivers are.

If anyone would be willing to test them to figure out what the T/S parameters are I'd be happy to throw them a little bit of money for their efforts and a case of 10 of the speakers to play with too.

Ok, on to the photos...

DSCN1181.jpg

DSCN1182.jpg

DSCN1183.jpg

DSCN1184.jpg

DSCN1186.jpg

Any help that you guys could provide would be helpful. :)

Thanks,

Ryan

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Very small magnet, I'm going to assume very high "Q" therefore Open Baffle use.
Never seen that brand before so unable to help.
1000 drivers, where the heck are you going to find room to store them??
160 drivers is a huge array how big are you intending to make??

Moondog55 said:
Very small magnet, I'm going to assume very high "Q" therefore Open Baffle use.
Never seen that brand before so unable to help.
1000 drivers, where the heck are you going to find room to store them??
160 drivers is a huge array how big are you intending to make??

I was figuring OB use, but really didn't know...

The drivers are in a rather big stack of boxes in a garage.

Well, I figured 160 of them is enough to ruin a design or two with to much power, but I figured about 10 per side. It really depends on how big the house I am going to be in next year is. The place I picked them up from probably had 10,000+ or so left in the building so I just made a very, very small dent in the pile. I did pick up everything for 275$ though, and I figure only 400 or so even will have a use. Even with half usable, still pretty good deal.

wait till somebody comes to this post (from Kansas or something), or measure them yourself with some fast speaker-measuring device from PE, if you don't now how to, there are other posts that explain all that about the devices. You just need that equipment and a computer. Are you going to use them with a sub/ or woofer?

ps they look very nice and makes me remember the 10" full ranges visatons (if they where of 10xpower).

These look like inferior copies of the old ELAC speakers. We used them in PA column speakers (eight per box). They were called "Long Tall Sally's" and although they did not give much low-end they were great for their day) surprising clear and defined. Also bear in mind that the 10W they refer to is absolute maximum and should be good for about 5W rms!

Guys ..... GUYS !!!!!!!!!
The post is 8 years old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet the OP either figured what to do by now or plain resold them.

And yes, they probably are very good sounding for a roof mounted background music/paging system.
As in "please remember we close our doors in 10 minutes".

As of the lack of transformer brackets, I have personally wired an 8 x 8 matrix of such speakers (64 speakers in total) on a Supermarket roof, no transformers (8 lines in parallel, with 8 series speakers each for total 8 ohms load) driven by 2 bridged 300W/4 ohms amps for 600W into 8 , which is very close to a 70V line.

So no transformers needed either on the amp side or the speakers, for a LOUD and clean system for peanuts.

Each speaker (slightly better than these) got close to 10W RMS.

Tons of "natural reverb" but sound is intelligible because you are always close to one speaker or another which carries the information in a clear way and reaches your ears first.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.