custom pa speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm new to the forums :)

I've been using 2 Gemini GSM-1545s for quite a while now, and they're starting to get a bit knackered (I've had to repair both 15" drivers, dunno how much longer they will last...)

Ideally, I'd like to reuse what I can (here's where you guys come in) and I'd like to know what parts are any good, and what parts are pants... also as I'm on a rather tight budget, some suggestions on good value parts to be had new or used would be cool :)

They need to be reasonably powerful, as my current ones don't quite cut it in a big room (the 1545s are 175w RMS :( ) and have some decent low end punch (so I won't always need to borrow a sub)

Cabinet materials shouldn't be a problem, I might be able to reuse most of the old cabinets (depending on whether I can remove the front panel without damaging the rest of it...)

I guess it comes down to selecting some decent budget drivers and figuring out if the horn and tweeters are any good, then replacing the crossover.

Any and all help is appreciated

Keep the cabinets because they're a lot of work to make right and as you've accepted the fact that you'll need to design and build a new crossover....

You might try looking to see if you can get a recone kit for the speakers. Some companies over here (Madisound and PartsExpress if I remember correctly) do generic kits that will change the T-S parameters of the speaker significantly (or maybe not)

It's pretty simple to do just tape up the voicecoil gap in the magnet before you start scraping all remnants of the old cone & surround off the basket.

Use a piece of plastic (strips of old credit cards are good) with some scotch tape (sellotape to you limeys) folded over to clean the gap. (you can't do this enough) and then enjoy the rich aromas of the MEK solvent as you apply a bead of glue for the new cone.

The kit should come with a kit to shim the voicecoil in the gap as the glue sets, if not you'll have to do a dry run with various thickness strips of whatever to get a good fit before gluing.

That's what I'd do anyway.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Iain's advice makes sense, and I have to reiterate his advice about taking time cleaning out the VC gap properly, (I think masking tape works better though ;)).

If you want to have them reconed professionally, then Google Wembley Loudspeakers, but this will likely cost more than buying some new drivers. Another possible option you could look at is buying a pair of something like JBL Eons S/H. They tend to be quite cheap and are a better than average PA speaker.

As for new drivers, it might be worth testing your existing drivers to get rough parameters to narrow down the choice of suitable replacements. You'll need to get set up for testing so you can build the crossovers anyway, so doing it now will give you a better idea of whether you want to proceed down this avenue.

I really should do a thread with pics detailing how to do a recone job...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.