PA Speakers spark? Advise Please! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2007, 05:30 AM   #1
htgeek is offline htgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default PA Speakers spark? Advise Please!

Hey everyone. I've got a single Peavey PR15 that I was using to run vocals for a local rock band. The mic fed-back really loudly at one point during a practice and I happened to have my eyes on the speaker at the time. As the volume of the feedback whine got louder, a bright white light grew brighter from inside the speaker cab. I could see the light from one of the sound hole in the front of the cab, as it was coming from the inside. The entire feedback lasted about 1 second, but this light was no flash - it almost looked as if there was some sort of lightbulb growing brighter inside the cab. The speaker seemed to work fine after that and I have not taken it apart yet to look at the inside. It is a 400W speaker being run with a 500W power amp that was cranked up about halfway.
Was this a spark? Was it frying electronics? Has anyone heard of this happening before? Should I be worried for my speaker now? Any help is great!
Old 3rd September 2007, 08:32 AM   #2
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

It was most likely a light globe, the crossovers in the speakers are set up to dump excess power into the globe to protect the driver when you overdo it. It should be fine.
Old 4th September 2007, 01:32 AM   #3
htgeek is offline htgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

ohhhhhhh, that makes sense.
it did look just like a bulb lighting up in there, but i pictured an arc or something.
thanks!
Old 4th September 2007, 02:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Did it cast a shadow image of the Virgin Mary? If so forget practising music for a living, you can sell tickets to touch the speaker. Be prepared to be inundated with the lost, the hopeless and the pathetic. From a marketing standpoint they are in unlimited supply thanks to the good work of the church, and god just keeps making more.

On the other hand, if it cast a shadow of the logo for Virgin Records, you are outa luck. Back to work for you!

Hide this!Advertise here!