Scoop Bins + Midtop problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I recently made 4x scoop bins & 4x midtops, and had a trial of the whole set.

The scoops have a very lovely base thump & Midtops very loud and clear, using in a 3 way setup.

My basic problem is when i am driving the scoops the clearity of the mids decreases, it is not due to the voltage problem, but because of the movement of the cones of mids, which tends to move a lot with the base thump. I suppose the base drive makes the mids coil move out of the magnetic gap which causes the mids to drop its clearity.

Please help me what should i do.

I have attached the photograph of my setup.

Attachments

• scoop n midtops1.jpg
    scoop n midtops1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 469
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Crissty,

Interesting. I deliberately tone back the mid on my outdoor stuff because as the volume goes up, they become overbearing. They sound rather muffled at low volumes but clear once some juice runs throught them.

You say it drops in clarity. Do you mean the level seems to drop?

How is this XO'd? Do you run the mids with a high pass or straight?

Is there any physical isolation between the woofer and the mid cabinets?

EDIT: How come the flag for Greenland is red and white? ;)

Its a 3way setup c/o @ 160hz & 2.4Khz.

Now what i mean to say, when i m driving only the Mids (400w) x 4 and tops (100W) x 4, and base amps volume to minimum, the mids are very clear and loud, and the cone movement is very less.

But as i pump 4000W of base from scoops x 4 (1000W each), the base thump is so hard that your shirt & trouser also vibrate and dance to the music :hot: , and the cone of the Mids (xmax is 4mm), also moves as if it is also pumping base from it, which means the cones definately move out of their magnetic gap.

As shown in the Picture the Midtop cabinets are directly kept on the scoops.

give some idea how should the Midtops be positioned, should it not be on the top of scoop bins.

With some disco system that I have (though much much les beefy than yours) we often "flew" the tops and placed the woofers close together. Stereo reproiduction of bass wasn't that good anymore that way but punchg was increased due to mutual coupling.

The tops might be built as closed box of quite small volume this would reduce cone-movement from external SPL as well. Although you would loose the possibility to use them "stand-alone" in situations where the big bass-bins aren't need.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.