DIY anamorphic lens - Page 172 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > Optics
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Optics Anything from lenses to polarizors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2008, 11:09 PM   #1711
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mark Techer
The only one I have ever seen is a free version from the French guys, but is was only to do with prisms...

Mark
Old 13th March 2008, 02:51 AM   #1712
mtoups is offline mtoups  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Lens Modelling SW

Quote:
Originally posted by riskpeep
As I play around with these lenses more, it would be really helpful to have a good lens modelling program.

Does anyone know of one that is free or really cheap that would let us design lenses?

Ideally it would be flexible enough to let us experiment with both cylindrical lens based and prism based solutions. Bonus would be an ability to model CA so we could design it out.

Riskpeep
I have played with OSLO EDU. It can be found at http://www.lambdares.com/education/oslo_edu/ To quote their site:
Quote:
OSLO-EDU is a free Windows program with a reduced number of features compared to OSLO Light. It also restricts you to working with systems that have up to, or including, 10 surfaces. Although OSLO-EDU does not include all the capabilities of OSLO Light, Standard or Premium, it does give you optical design power that exceeds many commercial programs. OSLO-EDU gives you the basic ability to lay out, edit, optimize, analyze, tolerance, and save a wide range of optical systems. OSLO-EDU is perfectly tailored for educational use.
From playing around with it, it should be useful for the DIY community and the ATM (Amateur Telescope Maker) communities. Be warned, download the manual and be prepared to spend some time learning to use this powerful tool.

(The links at http://www.sinopt.com no longer work. I guess there was some sort of change of ownership or at least site.)
Old 13th March 2008, 03:03 AM   #1713
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link Mtoups,

Allot to work with there...

Mark
Old 20th March 2008, 03:32 AM   #1714
mtoups is offline mtoups  United States
diyAudio Member

Default OSLO examples

I posted some OSLO examples of an ideal projector lens with lens shift for a HE and VC 5 degree prism pairs at my web site at http://computertips.toups.info/optics/ This roughly mirrors my setup parameters.

More explanations later, hopefully in a few days.
Old 6th April 2008, 07:00 PM   #1715
diyAudio Member

Question off-topic - prism sources in UK / EU

Hi all,

Just a quick question - I'm looking to build myself an anamorphic lens for my PJ (currently an Infocus SP4805, but about to pull the trigger on a Panasonic AX200). However, Googling for several hours reveals only one source of optical crystal wedges in the UK, and they have a minimum order quantity of circa 18 wedges!!!

I've emailed Massillon Plaque, and received the rather abrupt reply

"We don't ship overseas"

(no signature, no "Dear Neil", etc, etc - not what I've come to expect from my cousins across the pond, frankly!)

Does anyone know of a supplier in the UK for the crystal wedges?

Thanks.

Neil.
Old 7th April 2008, 12:41 AM   #1716
diyAudio Member

Neil,

Send me an email (cavx01@hotmail.com) and I might be able to help out...

Mark
Old 7th April 2008, 06:29 AM   #1717
diyAudio Member

Here's one >>> http://www.bruneltrophies.co.uk/shop...awards/jb1061/

Personally I am looking at making my one out of AR glass.

This is my first post so sorry if I have broken any rules.
Old 7th April 2008, 07:11 AM   #1718
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iseealiens

Your right Those prisms look like the same ones from MP that have been used by many on these forums already. Where did you look to get AR coating?

Mark
Old 7th April 2008, 01:52 PM   #1719
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iseealiens

issaliens - thanks for this! Looks like Google isn't as much my friend as I thought!

Mark,

Email sent, but if those are the same wedges as MP, then I think I am set!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Techer

Your right Those prisms look like the same ones from MP that have been used by many on these forums already. Where did you look to get AR coating?

Mark
I think iseealiens is talking about making liquid-filled prisms from AR glass - correct?

Thanks again to you both!

Neil.
Old 7th April 2008, 07:22 PM   #1720
diyAudio Member

Sorry Mark I should have been clearer; nelliekins is correct I am planning on making mines’ liquid filled for the reason that I think it would be to hard to find someone that will do AR coating on these trophy wedges in the UK.

JB1061 is the 6” plaque number and if you Google it will show other company’s in the UK that sell them. JB1062 is the 7” and JB1063 is the 7.5”.

Let me know if anyone finds a company that can do AR coating in the UK for a reasonable price.

I have one question? Is it better to use these trophy wedges rather then constructing ones liquid filled? And why?

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!