Pure Evoke Flow Internet Radio

Many thanks for very useful pointers.

I've got the part (from nice Italian on eBay) but I'm making a horlicks of getting the front grille off: when you say you ran a knife around the grille, that the plastic mounting in which the metal grille is embedded (not the metal bit itself?) - was there anything special about the knife (I can get a kitchen knife around it and open a gap between the inner and the outer plastic rims but all I'm doing is cracking off the ornamental black plastic, which is breaking off in bits...).

Instructions for changing screen on a Pure Evoke Flow

There seems to be some confusion about method. Go in from the back, not the front!! Here's my reposted instructions from 13th November...
Good luck :)

So I've just done our radio, having received a screen from NomadUK, and it's perfect - as good as new: dimming automatically when required but perfectly bright when needed.

Technically I would say the job was a bit fiddly but not difficult as long as you can find a small screwdriver and your reading glasses :)
So:
1. remove the back plate (six screws)
2. slide the innards out (angle it out right side first)
3. [non-essential] if you'd like to give yourself more room and can reach it then the wire that attaches the inner board to the inside of the radio handle can be unscrewed temporarily
4. note how the screen ribbon cable inserts into the circuit board. (Mine had the numbers 1 and 22 on it which helped.) Your new ribbon will need to go in the same way, obvs.
5. CRITICAL: there is a small black plastic clip which you can see either side of where the ribbon meeds the circuit board. Slide both ends of this up towards the top of the radio, releasing the old ribbon cable
6. remove the four small screws from the screen retainer and remove this and the old screen
7. slide the old ribbon through the letterbox aperture on the screen retainer
8. clean the inside of the radio window
9. remove the screen protector from your new screen and site the new screen (the right way up!)
10. insert the new ribbon cable through the letterbox aperture and set the screen retainer in place
11. replace the four small screws and tighten them evenly
12. reattach the ribbon cable (make sure the black clip is open as you are inserting the ribbon; closing the clip then locks the ribbon in place)
13. [if you detatched the wire from the inside of the radio handle then now is the time to reattach it]
14. replace the board (left side in first) and reinsert the six screws
15. plug it in, wait for it to sort itself out, and then...
16. ...allow yourself a warm smile of self-congratulation. You have saved an old radio from the rubbish bin :)
17. [OPTIONAL] tune back in to radio 4.

NomadUK and Alampro - thanks for your encouragement! Any comments on my technique welcome for the benefit of those who follow. May God bless you all. Good night!

!Get your new display here!

For anyone landing here looking for a new display for their radio:-

Pure Evoke Flow
Pure Avanti Flow
Pure Evoke 1S Marshall
Pure Evoke F4 (uses white display but Evoke Flow yellow display can also be used)

After ordering 5 batches I have now set up a simple web site where anyone can order a display:-

Home

ajsdyno.com/pure/

This will be easier than collecting a list of names and people having to wait until the next batch.

Last edited:
Hi, I have new stock arriving today (Wednesday 14th February).

You can order one from AJSDyno.com/pure and it will be posted today.

Regards,

AJSDyno
I don't know if you received my contact message on your website, Products so I just wanted to ask again. Do you have two more of these evoke flow oled screens available? You can contact me at AndrewMag1@gmail.com

Hi AJSDyno, I wonder if you still have any of the screens for the proverbial Pure Avanti Flow? Mine has gone to meet its maker and is as dark as a black hole.

Hi,

The Avanti uses the same screen as the Evoke Flow, unfortunately these screens are no longer manufactured and the supply of the original bright screen has dried up.

The only ones I can get now are a low brightness version which have been mixed in with a huge batch of rejected units (failed pixels or completely dead - they do this to get rid of faulty inventory that they can't otherwise sell). I have had to buy hundreds of these "mixed stock" units and need to fully test every one to find the good ones that were mixed in - like an easter egg hunt, 85% are the rejected units!

I can no longer sell them on my website as I don't have the stock, so when I find a good one it gets listed on ebay as an auction. Just search for "Pure Evoke Screen".

Regards,

AJSDyno

I'm trying to source a Display for an Evoke 3 at the moment, so if anyone knows from where I can buy one, I'd be grateful for the info. PURE are certainly not helful. Yesterday I tried to email them for a repair price, but they won't even accept an email from those who are not registered and logged in. For some reason my log-in details don't work any more, either (last use maybe two years ago).

Hi

I have managed to obtain a couple of displays to replace a defective Pure Avanti Flow. My question is has anyone figured out how to open this Radio? I took all the screws that i could see off and could not prise the unit apart. Any help would be gratefully appreciated..

Regs

A

According to the datasheet "Function, Performance, appearance, etc, shall be free from remarkable deterioration more than 10,000 hours under 150cd/m2 brightness and 40,000 hours under 100 cd/m2 brightness at 50% Checkerboard, humidity (50% RH) and in an area not exposed to direct sunlight." and "End of lifetime is specified as 50% of initial brightness".

As 10,000 hours equates to just over a year, then any Evoke situated in a bright room with the default display settings, will probably have deteriorated to end of lifetime in around 2 years, less if sat in sunlight, and in a dimly lit room in about 5 years.

Quite why Pure chose to use this type of limited lifetime display is a mystery, whether through not reading the spec sheet properly or accepting built in obsolescence, hoping that most sets would last until Citizens Rights grace period ended, I don't know.

More in stock

I managed to source some more displays from China, they are a different part number but are otherwise a direct replacement, I have now made them available here:-

Products

Unfortunately they are more expensive than before but they are full brightness and appear to be brighter that original, I guess they were made more recently??

I have fitted one in my own radio to replace the replacement and it is much brighter, I have turned it down to level 4 and it is still easy to see, I hope these will last longer!

As weatherman points out, their design life if not very long and I think Pure must have realised this when they sent out the radio update which allows the display to go off during usage, obviously an attempt to make them last a bit longer.
They use less power than LCD so maybe that was the thinking (ECO friendly?) but lots of radios scrapped 'cos of failed display isn't very ECO.