Bass Maestro! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2007, 04:30 PM   #1
mikeks is offline mikeks  United Kingdom
Account Disabled

Cool Bass Maestro!

Folks, I reckon the section 2:11 to 2:25 here constitutes the most hauntingly creative bass line ever.

Absolute magic!

More magic from THE MAN here.
Old 6th April 2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The man is great indeed. Very appealing. You sometimes get the feeling he's playing a battery of instruments with only four strings.

I always favoured Gail Ann Dorsey. Here with Bowie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNGQor3dED8

/Hugo
Old 6th April 2007, 05:33 PM   #3
mikeks is offline mikeks  United Kingdom
Account Disabled

Default Re: Bass Maestro!

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeks
Folks, I reckon the section 2:11 to 2:25 here
I know that section is actually part of a larger piece somewhere.

Does anybody know??
Old 6th April 2007, 07:20 PM   #4
kvholio is offline kvholio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

=> http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Wooten-.../dp/B00005RDSK
Old 12th April 2007, 11:59 AM   #5
kvholio is offline kvholio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I would hardly qualify as an expert , but he plays the bass like there's no tomorrow
- i actually ordered the dvd after listening to the samples

Click the image to open in full size.

best regards,

Klaas
Old 12th April 2007, 02:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you want a cool CD by him then get yourself "A show of Hands".

Regards

Charles
Old 15th April 2007, 08:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Who plays bass?

Victor Wooten is a skilled tradesman for certain! I never heard of him before but now I am a fan. I checked him out on Google and it seems he is a living legend.

My old time favorites (not in any order) are Mark King (Level 42), Les Claypool (Primus), Geddy Lee (Rush), Chris Squire (Yes) Jack Bruce (Cream), Bootsy Collins (James Brown & George Clinton), Charlie Mingus (Jazz records), Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) and an ol' chap Paul McCartney. Search them individually on You Tube and you will see all of them shine.

So many many more...I should even mention Flea from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

My first instrument was a Washburn bass with a "slim" fretboard for my stubby little fingers.

Love that slap and pull,

Shawn.
Old 15th April 2007, 06:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Looking around on youtube I see that there are a lot of people (mostly younger folks I assume) attributing the great tune "The awakening" to Les Claypool (who plays it very well BTW). But the original is by the "Reddings" from the album "The awakening". This one is more than a quarter of a century old.

Two of the real bass pioneers don't have to get forgotten: Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius.

And then there are also those crazy ones who do such things on upright basses like Brian Bromberg and Renaud Garcia-Fons (ever heard anyone play flamenco on an URB ?)

Regards

Charles
Old 9th May 2007, 11:00 PM   #9
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

One of my favorites going back to the late '60s is Jack Casady, formerly of the Jefferson Airplane many years ago. He and the lead guitarist of that band, Jorma Kaukonen, met in high school and are still playing and touring together today. That makes it over 40 years they've been doing that.

Jack's web site is here. It features a Flash video of a really nice riff he does. The guitarist in the background is most likely Jorma Kaukonen. What strikes me about this riff is not just virtuosity, but also a beautiful melody with much emotion projected into his playing.
Old 10th May 2007, 02:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phase_accurate

And then there are also those crazy ones who do such things on upright basses like Brian Bromberg and Renaud Garcia-Fons (ever heard anyone play flamenco on an URB ?)

Regards

Charles

Edgar Meyer has entered - and won - fiddle competitions, playing bass fiddle!

Hide this!Advertise here!