Bass Maestro!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would hardly qualify as an expert , but he plays the bass like there's no tomorrow
- i actually ordered the dvd after listening to the samples :cool:

victorwooten.jpg

best regards,

Klaas

Who plays bass?

Victor Wooten is a skilled tradesman for certain! I never heard of him before but now I am a fan. :) I checked him out on Google and it seems he is a living legend.

My old time favorites (not in any order) are Mark King (Level 42), Les Claypool (Primus), Geddy Lee (Rush), Chris Squire (Yes) Jack Bruce (Cream), Bootsy Collins (James Brown & George Clinton), Charlie Mingus (Jazz records), Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) and an ol' chap Paul McCartney. Search them individually on You Tube and you will see all of them shine.

So many many more...I should even mention Flea from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

My first instrument was a Washburn bass with a "slim" fretboard for my stubby little fingers.

Love that slap and pull,

Shawn.

Looking around on youtube I see that there are a lot of people (mostly younger folks I assume) attributing the great tune "The awakening" to Les Claypool (who plays it very well BTW). But the original is by the "Reddings" from the album "The awakening". This one is more than a quarter of a century old.

Two of the real bass pioneers don't have to get forgotten: Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius.

And then there are also those crazy ones who do such things on upright basses like Brian Bromberg and Renaud Garcia-Fons (ever heard anyone play flamenco on an URB ?)

Regards

Charles

One of my favorites going back to the late '60s is Jack Casady, formerly of the Jefferson Airplane many years ago. He and the lead guitarist of that band, Jorma Kaukonen, met in high school and are still playing and touring together today. That makes it over 40 years they've been doing that.

Jack's web site is here. It features a Flash video of a really nice riff he does. The guitarist in the background is most likely Jorma Kaukonen. What strikes me about this riff is not just virtuosity, but also a beautiful melody with much emotion projected into his playing.

I would have to say that you must listen to "The Sun Don`t Shine" by Marcus Miller, especially the title track and his tribute to Jacko Pastorious. And if you have never come across Danny Thompsons acoustic bass work, then you should. Hear him with John Martin on the album "Solid Air". Just amazing.

My old favorites are Jack Bruce and John Entwistle, but the Wooten piece linked was impressive. Jack and John made the bass a lead instrument. If you listen to Cream and The Who there are many times when they are playing lead and Eric or Peter are playing rhythm

Hi,
What about Jimi Hendrix, I know he didn't play bass but rhythm and lead with thumb and forefingers, truly talented, his drummer was pretty nifty too.
Steve Harris on Run to the Hills, surely a master of the bass guitar.
Black Sabbath, War Pigs, awesome track.

Has anyone out there heard the Robert Plant and Alison Krauss album ? The band on there are pretty cool, T. Bone Burnett, Marc Ribot etc. and what's the name of the banjo player ? I'd like to hear more of him.

Completely gone off topic, sorry.

Thanks
Gareth

andy_c said:
One of my favorites going back to the late '60s is Jack Casady, formerly of the Jefferson Airplane many years ago. He and the lead guitarist of that band, Jorma Kaukonen, met in high school and are still playing and touring together today. That makes it over 40 years they've been doing that.

Jack's web site is here. It features a Flash video of a really nice riff he does. The guitarist in the background is most likely Jorma Kaukonen. What strikes me about this riff is not just virtuosity, but also a beautiful melody with much emotion projected into his playing.

Couldn't get that to work, but there is a very nice acoustic piece at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBks7V3SzJo

Not flashy, but very tasteful ... thanks for the pointer about Jack - he does deserve more notice.

For some off-the-wall Entwistle, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQrrxWdOiM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.