Best Classical Vinyl: Share Your Favorites

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started this thread to see what everybody's favorite classical vinyl is.
My favorites are the London FFRR recordings. I have several, Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony (Pathetique), Waltzes by Johann Strauss Jr., and Rossini Overtures to name a few. The sound of these recordings is incredible.

Just a couple I have listened to lately and rather enjoy.

Philips "Sibelius the 7 Symphonies" with "Finlandia" and the "Swan of Tapiola" 6998 026. Not as open a sound stage as some but rather nice.

CBS Master sound series "Also Sprach Zarathustra" Zubin Mehta NY Philharmonic. upc= 0-7464-45888-1 Library of congress 80-750351. Very bright HFs (maybe too bright at times) and the pipe organ pedal tone will shake you with a good sub. My little 8" AR sub lets me know that it is trying and that there is more there than it can manage. Would love to give it a try with a good IB sub. Tympani is very nicely recorded hitting hard and feeling like it is right in the room with you.

Lots of others but will have to check back in as I rediscover them.

mike

Glad you started this thread. I am presently getting back into vinyl and I will definitively be interested in the upcoming posts.

Not "strict" classical, but I have a sealed copy of "Victory at Sea", RCA Red Seal RCA Symphony Orchestra, R. R. Bennett conducting,that I will open and play when a couple of my friends and I get together later this month.

The music inspired me to join the band in my Senior year of High School and has always been my favorite.

Deutsche Grammophon for the collector

If you can scoop up old Deutsche Grammophon records you may be astounded by the basic and clear style of recording that showed up repeatedly on their label. Their "past" classical stuff is of legend. Very raw and natural and even unadulterated. Here in Toronto many of their records can be found in used record shops at reasonable prices.

I'm not a big classical listener but I have been subjected to some old Deutsche records by two friends of mine. Very special stuff they had going there at one time.

Anyone else listen to the older Deutsche Grammophon records (1960's to mid 1980's)? What impressions do you have?

Cheers,

Shawn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.