The Blues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just heard the "Guitar-god" Right now, his name is Bonamassa:D
Man, I never saw/heard anything like it! He is really superb on the guitar.
http://www.jbonamassa.com/index2.htm

Steen:)

Attachments

• joe_bonamassa.jpg
    joe_bonamassa.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 178
Just had this album on vinyl:) Man, you would have to look a very long time to find a more enthusiastic album. Listen to Johnny Winter yelling in the background:D I am sure those guys liked the recording session a lot:) They had fun;) Me too listening to it.

Attachments

• muddy.jpg
    muddy.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 155
Nope I dont!!:xeye: But what, SACD isnt all the life you can ask for!! Last weekend I went to see Ike Turner!! I really liked the first half of the show!! Really some bluesy stuff, made everyone rock!! When the Tina"clone" kicked in with the "Nutbush......." Kind of part, I have to admit that I was dissapointed..... Not that she was bad or couldnt sing, but "WE" came for e Blues:D The worst thing was Ike's guitar-guy!! He could play the blues allright, but he looked like anything but a Blues-guy!! Beleive me, he looked like a J...!! Darn, that was dissappointing!

Steen:cool:

FastEddy said:
Ike & company = his records don't sell well either.

" ... But what, SACD isnt all the life you can ask for!! ..."

Yes, it is ... got a link to SACDs of Muddy ?? :eek:
Sorry about the late reply. Are the old albums from the 60's recorded in a quality that justifies a SACD or DVDA recording? I am just asking because I have no idea:) I know that "some" of the vinyl from that era sounds great, but not the majority. I realise that "Hard again" is recorded in the early 70's and the sound is great, indeed!
If some of you guys are an upcoming Muddy Waters fan, these are the albums to start out with;) The Chess box is just as great as the Alan Lomax field recordings from 1941-42! Check out the pick.

Attachments

• muddy_albums.jpg
    muddy_albums.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 138
Oh yeah, the " Folk Singer" album. One of The Chess labels efforts to ride the Blues revival wave, of the early 60's. With great succes! As far as I know, the same mastertapes were used for the Chess box with Muddy. The Chess label released several Box-sets with some of their greatest artists.
Talking about that, I want to raise an issue here: Were the artist's payed as they deserved? I dont think so! A guy like Willie Dixon got like 100usd a week for producing hit by hit!! He wrote big time seller's for Muddy Waters, Howlin Wulf, Otish Rush and others!! I beleive his biggest paycheck came about when he had his lawsuit check from Led Zeppelin;) As it were, Led Zep more or less copied Dixon songs at will! The story has it that Dixons record company Arc music, sued Led Zep for Copyright reasons.
"Bring it on home" was actually a Dixon song;) The case was settled outside the court, so I guess that Paige and Plant knew they were guilty:) Dixon never saw a dime from the case, until his personal manager insisted on seeing ARC's accounts!! Does that suck, or what? First you were cheated, then you were cheated again.......Years later he brought suit against Led Zep again, this time for their song "Whole lot of love" more than resembling Dixons "You need love" performed by Otish Rush.
Again the case was settled with a check, outside the court!!
Man those guys steel from each other......
On Led Zeppelin 1, they had the decensy to credit most songwriters. They forgot about that on Led Zep 2!! Being an old Led Zep fan, its quite a hard pill to swallow!!
Any comments, or interest in more of that sort??

" ... Talking about that, I want to raise an issue here: Were the artist's payed as they deserved? ..."

I talked to Muddy at his "coming out party" in Austin Tx about a week after release of Electric Mud. He seemed quite happy and quite stoned ... I believe it was the first time he had tried peyote, pot and wine all together ... The subject of money never came up, but he did indicate his happiness with Chess, with the mostly white college crowd in attendence at the party and the gig and he was driving a brand new fire engine red Caddy convertable with a couple of young babes from Houston.

Anyway, his music was fantastic that evening, except for the first couple of songs ... he just stood there in front of his mic with a big grin on his face while his band played through the introductions ... but once he started a rockin', it was sweet. He did all the songs from Folk Singer in his second set and then did some stuff that I had not heard before or since ... The preliminary band was some little ol' band from San Antonio, ZZ something our other ... :D

Zen Mod said:

you can like their's music, but you mustn't respect them ;
take Bird as example ...........genius but .........
I know that you saw Eastwood's "Bird"........

:clown:
As a matter of fact, I really like Led Zep:) I dont care if they "borrowed" some of their guitar lick's from old bluesmen;) I mean, who didnt:) Listening to a lot of old Blues right now, I get to feel the, "Where did I hear that before?" kind of feeling:D I kind of go: Soo, thats where they had that lick from":D
Ya should be receiving the package just about now:) If not, the ponyexpress is slow....

Steen :cool:

FastEddy said:
" ... Talking about that, I want to raise an issue here: Were the artist's payed as they deserved? ..."

I talked to Muddy at his "coming out party" in Austin Tx about a week after release of Electric Mud. He seemed quite happy and quite stoned ... I believe it was the first time he had tried peyote, pot and wine all together ... The subject of money never came up, but he did indicate his happiness with Chess, with the mostly white college crowd in attendence at the party and the gig and he was driving a brand new fire engine red Caddy convertable with a couple of young babes from Houston.

Anyway, his music was fantastic that evening, except for the first couple of songs ... he just stood there in front of his mic with a big grin on his face while his band played through the introductions ... but once he started a rockin', it was sweet. He did all the songs from Folk Singer in his second set and then did some stuff that I had not heard before or since ... The preliminary band was some little ol' band from San Antonio, ZZ something our other ... :D

Eddyman, is that from the "Cant be satisfied: The life and times of Muddy Waters"? I dont really beleive that you talked to Muddy? I am having the mentioned book, next week! A nice addition to my library of Blues writings indeed
:)

" .. is that from the "Cant be satisfied: The life and times of Muddy Waters"? I dont really beleive that you talked to Muddy? ..."

I don't care if you believe me or not. ... It happened as I said. The party was in a big old barn about 4 miles southwest of Austin on a Saturday afternoon, then we all went into town for the evening gig at The Vulcan Gas Company (later renamed Armadillo World Headquarters and others), by the RR tracks, a couple of blocks up from the river. The preliminary band was not the whole ZZ Top crew, just Billy and what's his name with Muddy's drummer. (This was way before ZZ Top hit the big time, just another Texas rockabilly band from San Antonio.) The gig went from just after dark until way too late ... Muddy hit a good spot and just kept playing and playing ... :cool:

I don't care if you believe me or not. ...
I cant blame you then;) You would have to have me excused, its not that strange that someone will doubt the fact that you actually met Muddy Waters? Cant be the first time you experience that?
I am sorry ;)
I have been listening to Muddy on a daily basis for some time now:) Great stuff, indeed.

Steen:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

As a matter of fact, I really like Led Zep:) I dont care if they "borrowed" some of their guitar lick's from old bluesmen;) I mean, who didnt:) Listening to a lot of old Blues right now, I get to feel the, "Where did I hear that before?" kind of feeling:D I kind of go: Soo, thats where they had that lick from":D
Ya should be receiving the package just about now:) If not, the ponyexpress is slow....

Steen :cool:
ya know.........since my childish beginnings in listening the musak.......fortunately I met jazz very soon,then I realize what standard and versions are in most natural way - it doesn't matter who wrote tune, only important is did you make it right when you did it....

so ,conclusion is .........it's fun and blessings that musak exists.........and really doesn't matter who play it,till is good..........even if that's bunch of hairy screamers ........... :clown:
hey- I really like Zepp........but it's sometimes funny even to me when I hear Plant repeats "push.........push............push"........

not to mention those scenes from "song remains the same".............boy- I was hippie when I was a boy.......... :devilr:

edit.........must be a rider of a pony sleeps somewhere ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.